Corn rows - tips?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Stowell's Evergreen has done well for me in PA! It is very forgiving and has been a consistent performer - even bouncing back after an extended rainy period knocked all the plants flat, they picked themselves up and grew on. I hope you enjoy it!
I hear about corn doing that and it just amazes me

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always try to allow enough space between plants so that i can get the small hoe or stirrup hoe through. i know corn can be shallow rooted enough to not want to disturb the soil deeply so it has to be done often enough that you can get seedling weeds before the roots get very far.

we don't plant corn here. way too many raccoons. you may need an electric fence. :(

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
R u planning on saving seed? If yes, plant fishers first two planting. Leave an ear for seed on first planting. Plant the other one later and save an ear from the last planting. Should be pure.

Personally, I like sweet, sweet corn so I buy my seed with the super sweet gene. I also pick and eat mine later than most-not into juice. Aces is a great variety as it has great cold vigor, sweet, and holds it’s sugar longer than most before converting into starch.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is it worth it to try to germinate these in coir pellets or will that backfire splendidly?
I don't have experience with coir but was somewhat surprised how easily corn transplants. Still, I would feel a little silly setting out very many square feet of corn that way.

You are probably on a good course with the early-maturing selection. Some of the more modern types seem lightning fast but it is nearly an alpine climate that would require them... Still ...

I agree on the measurement of seedlings for sowings to extend the harvest. Germination and growth response to warming temperatures is fairly dramatic. Doing plantings by the calendar doesn't make as much sense as taking note of growth.

Have fun!

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
To show what I'm trying this year in the raised bed. Pretty sure I'll change it next year but this is how I learn. And yes, Seed, I'm fertilizing heavily.

These are the succession plantings. The top corner is Northeast. The next bit was planted about 3 weeks later to make sure the earliest planted had a head start in the cooler spring temps. The next bit top right in the bed, was about 2-1/2 weeks after that. Today I planted the next section, exactly 2 weeks. I have two more sections to plant.

I'm not planning on freezing or canning any, just get some fresh corn a good part of the summer.

Corn May 1.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , is it possible to grow corn in one of those black tree plastic containers? I'd like to try it some day but I don't know what kind would do well in our cool summer weather. Any advise?

Mary

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found that pre-starting the corn seed in peat pellets keeps the ^&*#$ crows from walking down the row, pulling up the emerging plants and eating the kernel off, leaving the plant to die. :he
Ugh. I've had to replant SO MANY sunflowers because of this in the past

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@seedcorn , is it possible to grow corn in one of those black tree plastic containers? I'd like to try it some day but I don't know what kind would do well in our cool summer weather. Any advise?

Mary
You might want to try planting some blue dent corn in a plastic container. I planted that last year, the kernals ended up being really small---although that could be bc of late planting---anyway couldn't find any corn that has been developed for cooler climates, but you are also wet and corn LOVES lots of water. Maybe plant and put the container right next to the house for extra warmth and protection? Remember, corn (maize) was grown on the east coast and I believe, up through New England at the time of Pilgrams. It was originally a grass with a handful of seeds to harvest and was developed into the large ears that we are used to seeding. As I understand it, left on it's on to set seed, it will de evolve back into the original plant, which is unusual for us to see. Seems like every large tomato dropped in the garden by accident tries to grow a few of it's own the next year, as do many other vegetables, and they don't seem to want to change back into the original cherry tomato.
ttps://www.calacademy.org/explore-science/corn-from-mexican-grass-to-massive-crop
http://www.goldenharvestseeds.com/agronomy/articles/plant-corn-seed-deeper-in-dry-soils
About 15 years ago I was researching for a class in the college library and came upon a book on agriculture that I would still like to have in my private library and this is where I learned about the original corn plant. I also learned how labor intensive it is to grow rice. You need a lot of people to grow the rice, transplant the rice, and harvest the rice to feed the people to plant the rice...vicious circle.
Btw, I learned recently that some farmers in Wisconsin are growing rice by reclaiming farmland that floods back into the wetlands that they want to be, and thus making good use of a bad thing. The farmer/professor who was interviewed said that purchasing a rice planter made the whole thing a LOT easier.

Last edited:

Latest posts