Covid

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee I was reading an article on how Covid is spiking across the midwest and how per capita, Iowa is leading in Covid cases. Do you ever use Elderberry for flu season? I make elderberry syrup each year to help ward off the flu. We went elderberry picking last week and I have my berries in the freezer. I'll be making Elderberry syrup this week. I also keep a bag or two of dry elderberries that I get from Amazon. Elderberries keep flu and cold virus from replicating, meaning that you may get sick, but the elderberry syrup keeps the virus from making more of itself and it quickly dies out. The severity of the case and length can be greatly lessened.

I posted information on the Elderberry thread and a recipe for making the syrup. Take it along with Zinc and Selenium. We take this in the fall and winter and it keeps us from getting sick. Last year, we didn't go picking, I didn't make elderberry syrup and in late January of this year, BJ got extremely sick. Our DD and grand daughters were sick and we kept the little girls, so that's where it came from. We figure it was Covid-19.

There is an upsurge of interest in elderberry this year. On various forums more people are talking about it and I have read more articles on elderberry. You might even want to add elderberry plants to your oasis of a back yard for next year. They have beautiful showy blooms and make a tall, handsome plant.

Yes Covid numbers are rising in IA. And School is resuming in a few weeks! Per. The Governor's DEMAND! Even with mask wearing, hand sanitizing and spacing desks. IT seems risky to me :(
No I have never had Elderberry syrup. Thought to make my own but need a source for berries. Might be time to invest in a few shrubs.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
cases in MI remaining about the same (600-800 per day), hospitalizations i've not seen recent information on those but suspect it will be ticking up as it is a lagging thing, not a large number people dying recently, but i'm still of the opinion that one death is one too many.

[edited now that i see how poorly that read the first time]
in most stores the majority of people are wearing masks - a few people do not wear them correctly.

otherwise a lot of people are ignoring the large gathering rules or wearing masks at those events so i don't expect there to be a decrease in cases now until many more people are infected. when those infected people spread the disease to the elderly that have not yet caught it, well, it's going to be yet another round of unfortunate deaths.

Last edited:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
If masks worked (which you said your dad wore faithfully) he should have been safe. To compare drunk driving to this, is apples and computers-not related.

To segregate the sick (no matter what disease), makes complete sense. To segregate the healthy is asking for problems. As a kid, we segregated people with measles, chicken pox, flus, etc..... I would support taking a temp test. If you have a fever, no admittance, stay home.

Darn it Seed: I have to agree ~ wish you'd stop making sense ```

Yes, they seem to be going at this bass ackwards ~ against all logic and what has worked in the past ```

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes Covid numbers are rising in IA. And School is resuming in a few weeks! Per. The Governor's DEMAND! Even with mask wearing, hand sanitizing and spacing desks. IT seems risky to me :(
No I have never had Elderberry syrup. Thought to make my own but need a source for berries. Might be time to invest in a few shrubs.

Shrubs? Uh.... nope. They grow on slender stalks 12’ to 15’ tall. LOL
For now, you can buy elderberries from Amazon.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, DW & I visited one of our sons at his new home. He was showing us around his yard, asking me what all of the plants were that came with the house. He has an elderberry bush! :celebrateThe berries are just about ripe too. I've been looking for a bush to take cuttings from, to plant some in my yard... looks like I found one. There is another yard in town that has very vigorous bushes, I may ask the owner for some cuttings from those as well. Guess I'll have to look up the best time & method to take & grow those cuttings.

It's been years since I last used elderberries for anything. I made wine once a long time ago; it was so strong flavored that I blended it with another wine to tone it down. Then there was the time I tried to make elderberry jelly... it didn't set, but the resultant syrup was delicious. I've thought about hunting for wild elderberries, but all of the local patches I knew of have long since vanished. All of those patches were in marshes, so maybe elderberries will tolerate the low end of my property (which isn't good for much else).

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I am unhappy. DS's coworker and sort of friend had a nosebleed at work yesterday. He said he felt fine and was worried about why he would have a nosebleed. He went to his night job. He though maybe just overworked because he works and barely sleeps. He is in his 30s. Well, last night at work, another nosebleed and a fever and was sent home. This morning he did not come to work where DS is. He texted DS and told him he had a fever, nosebleed again, dizzy, headache and harder to breathe lying down. He went to the doctor at 2. We have not heard anything. DS saw him Sunday. They go to this place you throw axes for about an hour. They would have been touching the same axe. At work they are not close, about 20 feet apart but he walked past DS and told him about the nosebleed and then there would be the restroom and any other area. Now wait and see what happens. The nosebleed thing really worries me. I think there are different strains, but maybe it is just different people have different symptoms, but vascular worries me because the pulmonary embolism after having the chickenpox which is a virus.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@baymule will know for your area, she's my bible in here.

Latest posts