Covid

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
hope he comes through ok and they figure it out.

I guess they scheduled the CAT scan for tomorrow. He WENT TO WORK THIS MORNING. I told DS to stay away from him. He said he does not THINK he has a fever. His nose bled yesterday at one point for 3 hours. He had
bleeding on and off all day yesterday. He woke up this morning and no bleeding, bad headache and lights bothering him. I think the doctors are saying not a virus. A lot of THINK and no diagnosis yet. I hope it is just sinus related and nothing else more serious. DS said he bet he would show up for work today. He can handle pain.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes Covid numbers are rising in IA. And School is resuming in a few weeks! Per. The Governor's DEMAND! Even with mask wearing, hand sanitizing and spacing desks. IT seems risky to me :(
No I have never had Elderberry syrup. Thought to make my own but need a source for berries. Might be time to invest in a few shrubs.

In 2009 I planted 2 elderberry bushes. I bought I think 2 year old plants in big pots from a nursery and planted them at the edge of the garden. I bought them because of the H1N1 flu. My daughter buys elderberry syrup from the health food store. I have made it for us and for her, just the syrup with honey and not the alcohol. My friend in Kansas, I sent her dehydrated elderberries I picked in the mountains. They are light frosty looking blue, where as the ones I grow are black or purple looking. My friend made the recipe with vodka. Now they say for this COVID-19 virus not to use elderberries or anything to make your immune system strong and at first I believed that, but now I am not so sure. I still have not been making syrup which might be stupid :idunnobecause why would I believe anything a doctor says or whoever said this. I type medical reports and they do give patients vitamin C, thiamine and zinc, so they do believe that helps, but it is after they are already sick to help their body heal. I read people who have normal D3 levels are better off and I had my blood work done in March and I had normal D3. I take D3, but have not for several months thinking I was going to be in the sun, but I realized this morning this is the first summer in my life that I am not tan and I told DS that he barely had any tan, so I am starting the D3 and make sure when I do go out in the garden it is hot and sunny. I have been going out early or in the evening.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2009 I planted 2 elderberry bushes. I bought I think 2 year old plants in big pots from a nursery and planted them at the edge of the garden. I bought them because of the H1N1 flu. My daughter buys elderberry syrup from the health food store. I have made it for us and for her, just the syrup with honey and not the alcohol. My friend in Kansas, I sent her dehydrated elderberries I picked in the mountains. They are light frosty looking blue, where as the ones I grow are black or purple looking. My friend made the recipe with vodka. Now they say for this COVID-19 virus not to use elderberries or anything to make your immune system strong and at first I believed that, but now I am not so sure. I still have not been making syrup which might be stupid :idunnobecause why would I believe anything a doctor says or whoever said this. I type medical reports and they do give patients vitamin C, thiamine and zinc, so they do believe that helps, but it is after they are already sick to help their body heal. I read people who have normal D3 levels are better off and I had my blood work done in March and I had normal D3. I take D3, but have not for several months thinking I was going to be in the sun, but I realized this morning this is the first summer in my life that I am not tan and I told DS that he barely had any tan, so I am starting the D3 and make sure when I do go out in the garden it is hot and sunny. I have been going out early or in the evening.

a healthy person only needs so many minutes a day of direct sunlight to generate vitamin D but it does vary based upon skin color and time of day.

i have a lot of skin issues so i do not go out in direct sunlight often, but i try to get some sunshine on my skin when i go out. i just make sure to wear a hat (the head doesn't have much area for making vitamin D anyways). for me 15 minutes to a half hour is plenty. the rest of the time i'm outside i cover up so that only part of the sun light gets through. i have a slight tan but that's it. i don't go out and lay in the sun.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You should be ok if you avoid 10 AM to 2 PM, when the sun is most direct. I had one parent who never burned, and one who never tanned. I can get quite a good farmer's tan going, but dealing with burdock and other such weeds I have tried to wear a white cotton shirt on top and cover my legs AND I wear cowboy boots, especially when I push mow.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Urgent request. Those that have had Covid, need to donate blood.
Sons MiL got it (yes she wore masks and socially distanced) and developed bacterial and viral pneumonia. While in hospital, one treatment of antibodies from donated blood, wiped out Covid.

(Side note-her husband and my son’s family are negative even though they were not wearing masks or socially distancing).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sons MiL got it (yes she wore masks and socially distanced) and developed bacterial and viral pneumonia. While in hospital, one treatment of antibodies from donated blood, wiped out Covid.

(Side note-her husband and my son’s family are negative even though they were not wearing masks or socially distancing).

yes, this is a treatment they're testing out but it does seem to have some promise.

i'm not sure how far after an infection you can be where it will still have some effect, but for now it may be something is better than nothing no matter what.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score

it is those who have had covid 19, and then recovered, whose blood is needed, not while one has it. after one has it then donate. yes. researchers are having a hard time replicating the antigens as monoclonal antibodies, so a steady supply is needed.

by the way, masks don't stop the wearer from getting covid19. Masks stop the wearer from spreading it, so that when i wear a mask, im protecting YOU from MY germs.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Please listen to the good Doctor ~ see if it is in our interests to avoid the good practice we have used, and found most effective ~ That of isolating the sick And protecting the vulnerable ~ listening to those who want to frighten us into fear of each other are doing this in their own best interest and advantage ~ I know you've heard of herd immunity it does work ~ Stories told us of resulting problems of long lasting have effects have no have no medical assurance of not being there before ```

There is a very good chance that the greatest number of the population has been exposed to this novel virus as well as most/all others that come by ~ some getting quite sick, or mildly, many not at all, others having not even an antibody track ```

The way we have been handling this means that it will be around longer arriving when next winter rolls around ~ winter will come again shortly ```

I don't feel I've a right to not to wear a mask ~ it does piss me off when I see that sign and must return to the truck for a mask ~ even at church the take my temp ~ and I can't hear with the muffling of a mask ~ I don't hear well any way ~ and friend afraid to shake hands because they've had bull ship for breakfast ```

And some convinced that they believe we are endangering the lives of others ~ because they have been sold a hat full of crap ```

For Covid Strains producing a proven vaccine has been more than spotty, it may never happen ```

Good luck, try not to judge you neighbor ~ whether he or she wears a mask or not ~ you can choose to turn the media off if they scare you ```

Listen before they silence everyone ```

Last edited: