Covid

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, money or live I guess. I think some people do not believe it will ever go away. I have the hope it will be like 1918 and go away. Nobody gets tested for Spanish Flu. I had the Hong Kong flu in 1968 or so. I hope COVID-19 will be a thing of the past, but people think useless to wear a mask and going to get it anyway and might as well get it over with, except people catching it again. I type medical reports. I know what is happening to people in the ICU and the medications and they are there a long time and this is no joke. I am not sure if it is getting weaker as some say or if that is even possible. DD mentioned something about her husband and his job having a Christmas party. I about had a fit. I guess if they go, I will not let them near me for a few weeks. She puts going to the grocery store on the same level as a Christmas party in a room full of people. Just crazy. She may decide not to do such a thing, but her sister-in-law is getting married in December and there is another gathering. Nobody listening to the governor and no gathering more than 10, so maybe by December these kinds of things will not happen. I do not believe anybody should have a law or rule of family gathering in their home Thanksgiving, but they should be sensible what family you have. My 72-year-old friend, all her family decided to eat at their own homes. Friend and her daughters cooking, and then one is the delivery person.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
She puts going to the grocery store on the same level as a Christmas party in a room full of people. Just crazy.
So tell her to treat the party like grocery shopping... go in, grab some food, and get out. ;)

I really understand people's social frustration. Today we went to a friend's funeral, with many in attendance - including their son in the military, who flew back from overseas. There was a reception afterwards, at a local large restaurant. DW & I really wanted to attend, but there are usually 300+ people in that restaurant... and of course, you can't eat or drink with a mask on. It broke our hearts, but with Covid surging in our county, we just couldn't take the risk. :(

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
finally got an update on the rellie in the ICU, they are right on the edge where if they get worse they'll put them on ventilation. wants to get out so bad, but can't. everyone in the family is sick - even the sister that doesn't live with them picked it up somehow but at least for now things are stable.

and yes, the govenor did put more restrictions back in place to give the hospitals a chance to be able to take care of everyone.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grocery stores are starting to limit certain items again. Hope everyone is well stocked up, it's going to be a long winter.
Agreed. The incoming U.S. administration is already signalling a 4-6 week period of lockdown to some degree... which would once again cause panic buying. With the Spring shortages still fresh in memory, it is not surprising that consumers might think it wise to get an early start this time. Not that it would make a difference, since the whole herd will get the same idea.

Personally, given that the promised vaccines will probably not be distributed until late Spring or early Summer (and I'm not holding my breath for efficient distribution) the panic is illogical. There really is no point in stocking up, unless you have a year's supply... and for those who don't already have a good emergency food supply, it is probably too late to start one.

If anything good can come from this horrible outbreak, it might be that more people will learn the importance of advance emergency planning, growing more of their own produce, and raising or hunting more of their meat supply. We might see a lot of "new B" gardeners here this Spring. :caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If anything good can come from this horrible outbreak, it might be that more people will learn the importance of advance emergency planning, growing more of their own produce, and raising or hunting more of their meat supply. We might see a lot of "new B" gardeners here this Spring. :caf

if i had a distributor that would take seed samples to give away i'd love to do that to help people out this coming spring, but i don't want to actually deal with people coming here - that's too much exposure. i'm wondering what they'll do about the seed swap this coming late winter (they've not changed the website yet).

i have beans and melon seeds covered that is for sure and some squash too. :)

i'll be putting more samples into the seed library at the local library that is something i can do for sure.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone here had it ~ I mean tested positive ```

For a long time I could say I did not know anybody who had it, but now have a list of them. At church several older people thought they had a sinus infection, but turned out COVID. Most complained of being weak. One woman extremely overweight and diabetes could not walk so weak and went to the hospital for a couple days and sent home. One man died. They said dementia at first, but then said asbestos on his lung, and then said COVID. My daughter's friend was pregnant 2nd trimester and lost her baby. Her family and her sister's family all sick at the very beginning and told the flu. Recently her doctor told her it was COVID and when she lost her baby, that same time 8 other women lost theirs. Then my neighbor got it. Lost taste was his big complaint. Then, a lady I know in Kansas, her husband had a fever and threw up and went to the ER and tested negative and then the other test they sent off came back positive. He is just kind of feeling not well, but okay and his wife who lives in he house with him has no symptoms. Their daughter and her husband got it and live in another town and complained of lost of taste.

Latest posts