Coyotes

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As I stepped out of the house this morning at 3:30 I heard a lone coyote slowly build up to a howl. Within 10 seconds the whole pack was at full volume. I could tell they were in the woods across the field.

I get a little nervous wandering around in the dark doing chores wondering if the rabbits are keeping them fed or are they looking for bigger game (me). :hide

The howling is a little eerie, but I'd rather have that and know where they are than silence and wonder where they are.

Last edited:

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last October one day at 3 PM I was moving things off the driveway getting ready for winter snow plowing when I heard a huffing and puffing not far from me. I stood about 12 feet away from my house, and all of a sudden I say what I thought was a herd of deer headed my way from my backyard. I quickly realized it was a lone deer with a coyote in close pursuit. I could feel my eyes opening wide in disbelief as the two headed toward me. They were between me and my front door when the coyote grabbed the hind leg of the deer. The deer went down on all 4's with the one rear leg being pulled back. I screamed loudly and they both looked up at me. The coyote let go of the leg and just stood there bewildered while the deer giddyuped away as fast as his little legs would carry him. What was left was the coyote and me in a dead stare, and he was between me and my door. His head downward and hair at his nape standing on end, I said, "git away". Did nothing....waving my hands, shouting, and stomping got him to retreat about 12 feet. He stood there wondering what the heck just happened???? Then finally turned and wandered off into the woods...

When I hear them in the evening down in the next valley I think twice about being outside. I take my gun when locking up my chickens in as it is after dark. I scan the horizon every time I open my door.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last October one day at 3 PM I was moving things off the driveway getting ready for winter snow plowing when I heard a huffing and puffing not far from me. I stood about 12 feet away from my house, and all of a sudden I say what I thought was a herd of deer headed my way from my backyard. I quickly realized it was a lone deer with a coyote in close pursuit. I could feel my eyes opening wide in disbelief as the two headed toward me. They were between me and my front door when the coyote grabbed the hind leg of the deer. The deer went down on all 4's with the one rear leg being pulled back. I screamed loudly and they both looked up at me. The coyote let go of the leg and just stood there bewildered while the deer giddyuped away as fast as his little legs would carry him. What was left was the coyote and me in a dead stare, and he was between me and my door. His head downward and hair at his nape standing on end, I said, "git away". Did nothing....waving my hands, shouting, and stomping got him to retreat about 12 feet. He stood there wondering what the heck just happened???? Then finally turned and wandered off into the woods...

When I hear them in the evening down in the next valley I think twice about being outside. I take my gun when locking up my chickens in as it is after dark. I scan the horizon every time I open my door.
YIKES, :ep a bit unnerving for sure!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
They are no longer afraid of people. Get a gun! IF you are lucky you'll shoot a coyote. If not, it will disappear when you shoot it or shoot at it. Just DON'T:
1) shoot up in the air bc gravity will bring the bullet down
2) shoot with your dog outside with you, bc your dog might be hit
3) shoot towards anybody's horses!!! UNfortunately horses in pasture have been hit during hunting season! :ep

Coyotes and Coy-wolves often disappear as soon as they see a human. I have been threatened by a coyote. It was when I rented space to keep our horses, and the farmer's dog was running in a pack with other dogs AND a coyote. If found myself up on a fence yelling at a coyote that wouldn't back down. This was some 30 years ago.
REMEMBER, you don't need a license to shoot a coyote and it's ALWAYS open season on coyotes.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks, gun safety always comes first. I have allot of things against shooting coyotes. We don't need a permit, of course, to shoot them but during big game season we need a "big game license". That is stupid. Though I have 2 and half acres, I live too close to other houses for a good shoot. BUT let me tell you, if I have to protect myself or my little livestock I will shoot......safely of course...then face the consequences later..

Defending is a different story....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There used to be a bounty ... but, I'm showing my age.

After losing 3 chickens, I shot a coyote. I'd have much preferred not to have lost the chickens :\. I'd also given him fair warning by completing missing, a few days before.

Once, I saw a deer chasing a coyote ..! It was surreal. It's a dog eat dog (or, something) world out there, I tell you! We should try a little harder to fit in but it's hard to know how to do that, sometimes.

Steve

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL, no. I am prepared for a bear......not just coyote....

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in the north east coyotes are huge. The county I live in has very strict gun laws. Fire a gun you will see the inside of a jail. The next town from me Rye NY, the coyotes where so bold they went after children playing in own back yards. These animals have never been hunted so they have no fear of people. Last week I had to go to my vet's, in the waiting room a whole wall had missing cat posters. Sorry kitty not coming home.

Latest posts