Coyotes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cropping the picture and enlarging it probably distorted everything.

He was full grown. That's about all I can say. The sunflowers are likely to be the birdseed type, so not very big.

I'm pretty sure it was a bird that killed the rabbit I found on the neighbor's lawn the other day but the coyotes have dug out and killed mice in the garden and I'm appreciative. Two tom cats visit regularly but I often find larger tracks. No dogs are running loose lately.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
This guy was pretty good sized, almost the size of a German Shepard, and appears well fed. I would not want to tangle with it, that's for sure.

beast.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a small pack of 'yotes here and I love to hear them calling to one another. I don't think they had a good winter, though, as I've not heard them as much or as many calls as they normally do this spring and summer.

One of them almost ran smack into Mom as she came back from the mailbox but turned tail quickly and disappeared. Around these parts they are still very much afraid of humans, as they are the favorite target practice of any gun hunters around and about.

We leave them plenty of deer scraps/bones and chicken skins and guts during this season.

Having dogs on guard all the time gives much peace of mind about larger preds, so we don't worry much here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@freedhardwoods !

How did you sneak out for that great coyote picture? It's on the "featured thread" linked at the top of every page!

Dang. These nature photographers are good ... or was that another selfie? I once scared a coyote out of the wheat as I went by on the combine. He stopped to pee on the wheat, probably just to let me know what he thought of me ...

I wonder what kind of selfie that coyote would take.

coyote2.jpg

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That "statue" looks like a critter that fears absolutely nothing. Nuthin ... Domestic? I doubt it.

I once had a neighbor whose guest brought his coyote dog cross for a visit of a few days. It was missing the lower part of one back leg but got around well enuf.

The guy was quite a colorful character but I didn't care much for the personality of his dog.

Steve

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know about your laws @Nyboy .. I live close enough, plus I'm from NJ, that I have need warned..actually. I am spending the day in NJ and had to leave my gun home. Even my purse carry...

Also lots of years ago a bear took a child out of a stroller and only the body was found.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, silly. that may be the one I was talking about...

Latest posts