Coyotes

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend and I went to tour the castle on a weekday. We where the only ones on tour, the guide seeing we where very interested in the house took us to parts not usually on tour. I think tour was suppose to be 45 minutes, ours was almost 2 hours.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very nice.....A site worth seeing if anyone else gets in this area......

So I am searching this man, Henry Chapman Mercer....... He is from that area and my family arrived there in 1725 with a Chapman joining our family in the 1800's Johnny Appleseed sister married into my family....just haven't found out if he is connected to Henry...BUT they both come from New England......

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is what I think is a more impressive picture of that home on Wikipedia (link)! I can imagine that visitors could spend 2 hours and more in there ...

That doesn't look so close to NY on a map, @Nyboy. Must just be the "smaller size" of the States in the East ;).

I hope Freedhardwoods is okay with the hijack .. :hide . but, I will refrain from mentioning my cousin in Lehigh County and ancestors from Philadelphia and New England ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So hoping I can talk about my family connections on your thread, @waretrop .

:)

Let's see ... how about this?

4989_dsc00335.jpg

In my garden several years ago.

Steve

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow digitS', No way could I have gotten my phone out to take a picture of my deer attack. It was too fast, I was too close. I was busy screeming....... How did you ever get that shot??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

It's in the exurbs where I probably broke the law, shooting 2 marmots with 22 shorts. (And, the bunnies run frreeee!)

He was just rising when I snapped that picture. I realized that he was lying there as soon as I arrived in the garden and about 30 yards from him. I didn't miss a step and just continued, on past the neighbor's raspberry/grape jungle and on up the hill to about 150 yards away.

Then, I circled back as quietly as I could, past the sweet corn, on the other side of the jungle (see the raspberry vine in foreground) ... camera on and ready. I was about 50' from him when he stood up. Click!

He moved right on out into the nearby alfalfa and disappeared.

Steve
edit: About 200 yards away, I saw Wiley's cousin behind the neighbor's garage, this year. He was in front of a tractor scraper blade and I must have seen movement because I just stopped and stared, wondering what I was looking at. Then he, also, just moved about 15' on out into the field and disappeared.

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Recently I had technology backfire on me. I got a deal on a remote game caller on eBay. It is digital, wireless, and can be controlled from about a thousand feet away, also, almost a dozen different calls can be selected. My intention was to place it in the woods and point my trail camera at it to photograph whatever showed up. I thought I would bring a book and sit in the truck and let the call run for an hour or so. I headed to Grafton and placed the call in a tree and set up the camera. After I returned to the truck I selected distressed rabbit, fired it up and sat there listening to it scream. In only a few minutes it set off dozens of coyotes howling like mad. At that point I thought: how am I going to retrieve my camera and call with dozens of coyotes converging on it? As I was not anticipating the reaction I got, I did not bring my pistol with me. I turned off the call and sat in the truck for some time after the howling stopped, but it was still scary going into the woods to get the gear. :duc

Latest posts