Craigslist and Other Bargains

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
do you ever ask them for their discards in the produce section to feed the piggies?
You may get the produce discards where you live, however, in the far West, you NO longer can . Not even the used cardboard boxes. Last fall I went to several grocery stores to get some extra strong top and bottom apple boxes so that I could make a " train " for our neighbor's 5 year old son's ( my best helper ) Kindergarden class ... NO, NOPE, NADA !!! Big brother looking out for you from potential law suits, you know ,since you could poison someone with pesticides or spread disease from pathogen infested commercial fields ! :idunno

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a kid every wed dad took me to A&P, that was when they got in produce. I would pull boxes of greens from Dumpster for my rabbit. Now they all have covers what a waste

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We often see them one the side of the road with a for sale sign. He gets very excited. I thin you need to know how to fix them in order to own one or it will cost a fortune in up keep. Around here he won likely get in trouble getting too close to the wetlands.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, that is the normal price here too. But sometimes if we check on a Friday afternoon, they mark down the "old" corn because they just got in "new" corn. Last year we got 80 ears and the produce manager explained why it was marked so low. He watched us load up and marked the corn back up as soon as we walked away. This is the best price yet!

@flowerbug they have someone under contract for it and it must be picked up every day.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Out here I can still get greens for my chickens from the grocery store. The only problem is that sometimes I get their too late and they've already taken it out to the dumpster. But that's rare. There is a store that is a little far from me that gives me a big box of beautiful stuff. So good that we also eat it.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been looking hard at CL 2 or 3 (or 5,6,7,...) times a day since I adopted Syringa the mustang, for used corral panels.
I kept missing good deals, or they were too far away. Not going to drive 3 hours one way even for a killer deal.
Finally, finally, Sunday afternoon I found a fresh listing, just minutes old. And it was local - in my town even!
I called, got the address, we jump in the truck and go. It's a familiar neighborhood, I drive through it all the time on the way to a great riding spot.

Checking the addresses... and there it was, at our friends house! It was so funny. We pull in and they came out and I almost forgot I was there to look at panels. I did my usual hard nosed trader tactic -"got any wiggle room on the price?"
"nope"
"ok"
Paid the asking price, which was a fair one and then he threw in delivery. :)

They brought them over this evening and we had a nice talk and a walk around the yard. I sent them home with 3 seedling Japanese maples and a big clump of Joe Pye.
And I'm going back over there to buy their picnic table, which is a real good deal.:)

Latest posts