Craigslist and Other Bargains

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not really a find for me, but still really cheap items for a project. The local Rehab store has an upcyle contest every year and this year I wanted to enter. Mostly people just take old furniture and give it a pretty paint job and such or turn a buffet into a wine cabinet or some such thing.

I wanted to be a bit more creative and inventive with the materials used...not sure if I'll be able to pull it off to look like a cute, finished piece that draws the eye but I'm sure going to give it my best shot. Hope to use creative paint finishes on this to give it a more rustic look.

So, found a cheapy prefab rocker in pieces there for $5 and a lime spreader for $5 and intend to marry the two to make a patio planter. Will not keep it in a chair form but will try to utilize most of the wood/pieces into the planter. I'm just using the bucket off the spreader and nothing much else.

100_0883.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I'm wondering if you could use the piece on the far right as a trellis inside the bucket? Just an idea. You could plant sweet peas in time to be blooming when the judging starts. Is there prize money for the winner?

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I'm wondering if you could use the piece on the far right as a trellis inside the bucket? Just an idea. You could plant sweet peas in time to be blooming when the judging starts. Is there prize money for the winner?

Mary

I had planned on using it for the back of the planter stand, so it could be used as trellising in that manner. I have to have it in before Oct. 1st, so not sure if I have time to get anything to vine up that, but that sure would have been sweet. Could be I could dig up a vine of morning glory out of the garden and twine it around when I get this done. Was hoping to plant it with mums and possibly a portulaca I have here to give it a fall feeling.

Yep, prize money...though I don't like how they award the prizes. Ultimately, the grand prize goes to the piece that auctions for the most money. Of course people are not going to pay more for a planter than they are for a buffet or larger piece of furniture, so I'm not likely to win anything. Grand prize is $300 and $100 gift certificate to the Restore and on downward, second prize $200 and so on.

But, the money isn't why I'm entering...I just love to upcycle and repurpose things. I don't have a wood shop or a lot of money to work with like most of the entrees, so I'll be pleased if I even get an honorable mention, but mostly I just want to play around with making something pretty. I hope to fashion this is such a way that, when the planter is no longer holding plants, it can be used for clever storage, with the seat of the chair coming down to cover the top of the bucket. Don't know how I'll incorporate the rockers, but I hope to do so in some manner but not in the traditional way.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well that is a terrible way to award the monies. At the least they should have categories in gardening. I know you'll have fun creating something. Perhaps you could save the rockers for another project.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our neighbor called yesterday. He was at Loews and just scored a Broil King gas grill, regular $640, for the paltry sum of $100!! There was only two, did we want the other one? BJ jumped in the truck and went to Lowes. Jimmy loaded both boxes on his cart until BJ got there. Then Jimmy came over last night and put it together for us. We are excited!

B24A4CD8-7454-4C0B-9C0D-BEB7BF97069C.jpeg

6C29D73F-B75F-4E65-BD88-75E33D5E4F08.jpeg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our neighbor called yesterday. He was at Loews and just scored a Broil King gas grill, regular $640, for the paltry sum of $100!! There was only two, did we want the other one? BJ jumped in the truck and went to Lowes. Jimmy loaded both boxes on his cart until BJ got there. Then Jimmy came over last night and put it together for us. We are excited!

View attachment 28582

View attachment 28583
As you should be.....

Latest posts