Craigslist and Other Bargains

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
After the flooding of '17, we had a pile of kitchen appliances show up down the way. I pulled a few oven racks, frig drawers and a kitchen sink (stainless steel) for later projects. As I age the gag factor has subsided. The weirdest one, some one dumped a dorm frig full of sodas. Sodas don't go bad?!? I've drunk beer from a can that was in creek water. Maybe flood water is worse. I left the sodas - didn't know their history.

around here empties worth $0.10 each, so dump the soda in a trench in a garden (sugar eventually becomes plant food like any other organic molecule) and return the can for the deposit. one of the old-time garden sprays Mom used to do was a combination of beer, coca cola, steeped tobacco juice and mouthwash. ick. i'm glad she stopped doing that (it stunk and discouraged the good bugs too).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandfather rarely threw anything away, but when he did he would strip it of every screw nut and bolt. He had coffee cans full of them

if i had a big garage with room i'd still have every useful bit of anything i'd ever owned. you never know when that "thing" will come in handy. as a kid i often tore things apart to see how they worked (or to see if i could fix them). once i got older and more electronics knowlege i had more fun with the model railroading.

right now i have piles of old computer parts i will be taking to the recycler but it is giving me pains to even think of doing that... these might be useful to someone... *sigh*

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been buying Land's end coats for the last few years. They are expensive but they have great sales that make them affordable and they last forever. The store is housed in sears and they let you use Sears points towards land's end clothes too. I have had 3. The last is for going out in public. The 2 old ones are for the barn and any other messy chores.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
right now i have piles of old computer parts i will be taking to the recycler but it is giving me pains to even think of doing that... these might be useful to someone... *sigh*

They are useful. A museum will pay good money for that junk in another hundred years. Just like all the "collectable" stuff my room mate drags home. You just have to wait a hundred years and then find a buyer.

I can't believe what the old Nintendo and "first home computers" are worth today. The landfills are full of them.

On the other side of things, I should start running the antique stores. Looking for a hay fork. I was told they work better than the new ones. Which begs the question, shouldn't the good ones be worn out and the bad ones still sitting in the corner? Like whiskey, if it was good, they would have drank it 50 years ago.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
around here empties worth $0.10 each, so dump the soda in a trench in a garden (sugar eventually becomes plant food like any other organic molecule) and return the can for the deposit. one of the old-time garden sprays Mom used to do was a combination of beer, coca cola, steeped tobacco juice and mouthwash. ick. i'm glad she stopped doing that (it stunk and discouraged the good bugs too).

If I could have stomached it, there were piles of "good" compost sitting in that pile. The aluminum is scrap value here and the oven racks were more valuable. I'm surprised that I wasn't asked to leave due to health concerns. Yuck.

I've read about those garden sprays. The nicotine is a deterrent. The mouthwash a surfactant. Not sure about the beer and cola. But they put it in everything.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are useful. A museum will pay good money for that junk in another hundred years. Just like all the "collectable" stuff my room mate drags home. You just have to wait a hundred years and then find a buyer.

I can't believe what the old Nintendo and "first home computers" are worth today. The landfills are full of them.

On the other side of things, I should start running the antique stores. Looking for a hay fork. I was told they work better than the new ones. Which begs the question, shouldn't the good ones be worn out and the bad ones still sitting in the corner? Like whiskey, if it was good, they would have drank it 50 years ago.

:yuckyuck

You just need to find an old fork that belonged to a lazy farmer.

What you planning on doing with the hay fork? Doesn't a hay fork have like 3 maybe 4 tines tops?

I have an old fork of some sort that I like better than my actual pitchfork. It has 8 or 12 tines (never actually counted) and is fashionably rusted. It's the best for doing the spring clean out of my deep litter in the horse and goat stalls. And it's great for levering up those frozen horse piles in the pens. I suspect that's probably not a consideration that matters to you, being in Texas and all. :p

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have aspirations. Actually, I just like the hunt for unique items. Hay fork has been on my mind for a while. No idea why.

I have a manure fork (many tined too) that works great on the wood chips for mulch and bedding. This was a purchase (OMG!) 2 decades ago for pine straw. Can't believe I'm still using it. That pine straw was a pain to rake.

Frozen horse piles??? Not a consideration. No horses around here. :lol:

Actually, if we were to get property, Crazy Lady may adopt one of those nasty things too. Probably be a digger. I heard they eat gardens too. Nothing but problems...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe mine is a manure fork...?
That could be why it works so well that way, lol.

Oh and yeah, works great loading wood chips in the wheelbarrow.

I certainly hope you weren't referring to horses as nasty things. That could get you in hot water around here mister! :eek:

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

this is the 2nd installement on cleaning up old computer stuff in this tiny room. the first installment was half a closet full of even older stuff.

as for those garden sprays, yes, they all usually had coke and beer. supposedly to nourish/spread yeasts and give the bacteria a jump start. to me it all read as gimmicks and as much could be accomplished with compost. we still have a 12pack of old milwaukee beer (which is now about 10yrs older milwaukee beer) which if i can ever remember it will get opened and used in a garden and then we can return the cans.

i disliked the idea in general of the tobacco as you can spread tobacco mosaic virus and also the simple fact that nicotine is a poison.

i don't much need any kind of fork for moving hay, but a large white plastic shovel is my preferred way of moving woodchips or the crushed limestone we have all over the place as a mulch.

Latest posts