Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Harvest day
P_20230614_090009_1.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dahlias already!

I am trying to understand your climate, Phaedra. Comparing bloom time provides guidance but the differences go a little beyond that as we came through Winter and Spring. For a temperate climate, yours looks quite favorable to gardening. And then, you contribute skill and a willingness to experiment.

My dahlias will require some support soon -- I noticed yesterday as they were receiving a little shower from the hose with plenty of heat and too much wind. It was some extra support for stressful conditions but their growth will require a different "support" in the way of string tied to the stakes that have been in-place from the time the roots went in the ground.

Sweet Williams are just now reaching their bloom peak season, which is a good thing because the peonies are spent. I have allowed the Gaillardia plants to be nearly crowded out and that is unfortunate. Hydrangeas look to be coming on but it will be several weeks. Earliest lilies showing up :).

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dahlias already!

I am trying to understand your climate, Phaedra. Comparing bloom time provides guidance but the differences go a little beyond that as we came through Winter and Spring. For a temperate climate, yours looks quite favorable to gardening. And then, you contribute skill and a willingness to experiment.
Steve, my Dahlias are pretty young and not ready because I pinched all of them once before transplanting them into larger pots. Maybe that's the roses in the center?

I guess, my earliest Dahlias will need another three weeks, and the majority will take another six to eight weeks. But, Hydrangeas are coming up here, too. 🖖

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooh, okay.

Lovely peach color.

Yes, rose season is here! My climbing rose over the backyard gate is just beginning to show color but it is in a serious amount of shade.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Delphinium, Peony, Cornflower, and Snapdragon

Time to cut back Delphiniums so the side shoots have some chances to bring the second flush, and there are still some peonies that are pretty late this year~
8268_0.jpg

This one is made with some 'weeds' and 'leftover' flowers, including side shoots, short or deformed stems.

However, the size doesn't matter, at least not that much in terms of arranging bouquets - it's a universe in whatever container. For me, this one is a much more complete piece.

8267_0.jpg

Just like cooking or many other aspects of our lives, following what is defined by anyone else only makes sense when we want to.

Having luxurious or rare plants to work with is of course, great; but countless 'weeds' offer generously very rich choices of foliage, flowers, and even fruits.

This small bouquet makes me unexpectedly contented.
8266_0.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts