Dad Fell Off Ladder Drove To ER

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep...hospital can't help it. If he refuses to have anyone else notified of his care there and they have determined he is alert and oriented X 3, then their hands are tied in that regard. HIPPA laws and all of that.

I'd have a talk with Dad and see if he hit his head during this fall...could be he has a concussion or even~worst case scenario~have a subdural hematoma. I'd just watch him well over the next couple of days to try and assess his mental status due to those things.

Love your Dad's independence and I can't fault him on trying to keep it for as long as he can. As long as he's not endangering anyone else and he's in his right mind, I say let him go and let him live all he can. He's a big boy...if he gets hurt, he gets hurt.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's the dilemma isn't it Bee. "As long as he's not endangering anyone else and he's in his right mind"

Even at 90 my father-in-law could drive a car from home to where he wanted to go as long as it was certain places; church, the bank, and about five restaurants he knew how to find and get home from. But if there was road work or a detour he was lost in the city he lived in for all his life except college and military service. He did not handle stress well and had a horrible time making a decision. His reaction time is what made him so dangerous driving to me. I really worried about him in any kind of emergency or something that required a fast decision, not just for himself but for all the other people out there.

When do you pull the plug and take the keys away? You are taking away what independence they have left. Unless the decision is made for you because of medical conditions it is not easy. I don't know how I'll react in that situation, I suspect I'll be pretty stubborn about it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Lord, parents can cause as much worry as a toddler some days! I am sure you are worried, especially since he is not answering his phone. MIL did that last week. DH went to se if she was o.k. after an hour of trying to reach her. She was fine. She had left phone on wash machine and did not hear it above the T.V. :( Hugs for you .

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I called senior center he was there would not come to phone, message I was given call him tonight. I am sure with his injuries, he is center of attention there. His mind is all there, the only thing is his memory is failing but he knows that. He will say call me and remind me at my age you become forgetful. He has a standard answer when ever told he should not do something " what am I suppose to stare at TV waiting for death " Taking him to dinner tonight.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks bay he is now blaming my sister for his fall. They had a fight over the phone, he was frustrated and took it out on shrubs. Funny my sister was the youngest and daddy's little girl, in his eyes she could do no wrong. Now that she in charge of paying his bills they fight like cats and dogs. I on the other hand never got along better with him then now. She will call me and say daddy is XYZ I will say he always was, your just seeing it for first time. Poor girl

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't say anything the others haven't already said. Just know we are here for you... ranting, complaining, whatever. It's not an easy road you're traveling. Being the grownup has never been my forte.

Love you. Prayers for your father. Hopefully he will realize ya'll have his best interests at heart.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's going to gone out in his boots. Let him with no guilt

As a road rage addict, I have NO problem following a 70+ driving. I over look no turn signals, lost, driving 10 mph, etc. Now 60 & younger, yank your license.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I understand loss if independence when hey took my driver licenses because of vision I had spent 32 years
traveling from show to show to have that rug pulled is horrible

Latest posts