Dad is Happy My Car Needs Oil Change

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are extended cabs where there is no leg room but 2 can sit in back. Then crew can that has 4 normal doors with plenty of room. Unless you are used to driving a long truck, avoid full crew and 8' bed. Not sure you could turn it around in New York....

@majorcatfish learned something from you as I didn't realize any pick up took 4 gallons. Of course what you have is just short of semi. :cool:

Didn't realize any Ford could get 18-19........ Most are gas guzzlers.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are extended cabs where there is no leg room but 2 can sit in back. Then crew can that has 4 normal doors with plenty of room. Unless you are used to driving a long truck, avoid full crew and 8' bed. Not sure you could turn it around in New York....

@majorcatfish learned something from you as I didn't realize any pick up took 4 gallons. Of course what you have is just short of semi. :cool:

Didn't realize any Ford could get 18-19........ Most are gas guzzlers.

from home to work one way it's 49.3 miles, so put roughly 100 miles a day on her and it's 95% all highway miles over the last 10 years found that putting her cruise at 70 mph i get 18-19 mpg fuel mileage. now driving in the city it's 8-10 mpg, fill the bed full of rock it's down to 6-8 gpm..

@Nyboy no long beds for you, you would need a oversize permit just to drive to the store to get a gallon of milk.....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daily driver was a black '87 F350 dually crewcab. But it was a gas engine, we got about 10mpg around town. On long highway trips we got around 10 mpg. :rolleyes:
It hauled a loaded 4 horse 5th wheel nicely. I did love driving it, felt fairly safe from the crazies on the road. I just had to be committed to parking out where the tumbleweeds grew when I went shopping.

Pretty sure it did NOT take 4 gallons of oil....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hysterical, Red!

On my first car, a 73 super beetle, I learned how to change the oil and filter, replace the plugs and gap them too!, change the dist cap, fix a flat, and rotate the tires. I could not change or pack the grease into the CV joints tho. Oh, and had to replace the battery a dozen times. I had that car for a Looonnnggg time!

They should teach that to all youngsters now. My DD has a flat and its been like that for a month. Too bad she lives in AR, else I'd be there to change it for her.

I so agree!!! Most young men can't even do all that to the car any longer...no one teaching them just basic car maintenance. Most women I know~excluding my mother and I and a few gals on these forums~wouldn't even lower themselves to do car maintenance of any kind, nor change a tire. I've heard many say "that's what a husband is for" and when asked about if they lost their husband, would say "that's what a cell phone is for". Guess husbands are equal to a smart phone now..... :rolleyes:

your statement is so true i do not drive a pick-up ...
@seedcorn this should help you as well...

WISH TO INTRODUCE YOU TO BIG RED..
A 1997 FORD 1 TON F-350 7.3 L POWERSTOKE DIESEL 4x4 CREW CAB LONG BED.......21' OF ALL AMERICAN STEEL
View attachment 7292
THATS 8 CYLINDERS OF TORQUE .
View attachment 7294
SO NOW YOU KNOW WHY IT TAKES 4 GALLONS FOR A OIL CHANGE........

the motor has 331k and only burns a quart between oil changes and still gets 18-19 mpg, planning on keeping her around another 331k...
the 7.3L motor was the best one ford ever came out with.

on all newer "so called pick-ups" look closely at the vin tag on the drivers door side, it clearly states vehicle manufactured by either mattel or leggo plastic's companies .......:lol:

last year while pulling a stump out big red pulled the earth 1 degree out of it's normal axis.:D:D

:lol: Big Red is handsome! So good to see someone keeping one of those good old Fords alive and kicking...they don't make a good truck any longer, IMO...but back in the day they were the best farm trucks around.

I agree with the Toyota Tacoma advice....Mother has one and loves it! And, it's true, though it has a full crew cab, the back seats' leg room aren't the greatest. If you are a big guy, NY, you might find the height of the cab is a little cramped as well, so many guys move on up to the Toyota Tundra instead, though I don't find them to be as good a vehicle as the Tacoma.

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Got my oil change this morning. I always stretch the milage between changes because all my travel begins and ends with highway driving. I never did pay much heed to the "every 3,000 mile" suggestion and this car suggests every 7,000 miles so I stretched it to 10,000.

The dirty little secret is most engines and oils run clean enough that 10,000 miles hasn't "used up" the oil, I have a diesel and the factory says 10,000 miles between changes, I could probably go longer without hurting it any...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
toyota tacoma v-6 since you live in new york find one up there in the country with 1 owner, low mileage... the only reason is y'all up north love to throw down salt on the roads....

all you need is a bottle of tequila,shot glass,lime..who needs salt just lick a car...
:yuckyuck

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daily driver was a black '87 F350 dually crewcab. But it was a gas engine, we got about 10mpg around town. On long highway trips we got around 10 mpg. :rolleyes:
It hauled a loaded 4 horse 5th wheel nicely. I did love driving it, felt fairly safe from the crazies on the road. I just had to be committed to parking out where the tumbleweeds grew when I went shopping.

Pretty sure it did NOT take 4 gallons of oil....
bet that was a beautiful truck ...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dirty little secret is most engines and oils run clean enough that 10,000 miles hasn't "used up" the oil, I have a diesel and the factory says 10,000 miles between changes, I could probably go longer without hurting it any...
true you can go 10k but after 7k you really need to watch your oil level. the turbo is the life force of the engine why let your oil go that far...imho