Dad is Happy My Car Needs Oil Change

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
true you can go 10k but after 7k you really need to watch your oil level. the turbo is the life force of the engine why let your oil go that far...imho
So what is the life expectancy of synthetic oil for a family car, vs. a play pick up, vs. a work pick up. ? :idunno

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That shocks me. Shell oil in Indiana is worst oil you could buy-very thin. Made my car drink it. Switched brands, no problem. FIL had same problem. Bet they mis labeled our batches.

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So what is the life expectancy of synthetic oil for a family car, vs. a play pick up, vs. a work pick up. ? :idunno
I'm an old dinosaur, so I use dinosaur oil. :old

I buy and drive older vehicles, and older engines don't work so well with synthetic. They tend to leak or burn it.

The dirty little secret is most engines and oils run clean enough that 10,000 miles hasn't "used up" the oil, I have a diesel and the factory says 10,000 miles between changes, I could probably go longer without hurting it any...
Oil changes on the semis at work is every 25,000 miles. When I had my own truck, I changed it every 20,000.

On my cars and pickups with gas engines, I still change every 3k to 5k.

could not honestly answer that, since day one have only put shell rotella 15-40 in the truck and don't plan on changing types of oil.
I used 8 gallons Rotella 15-40 and 2 gallons of Lucas additive in my series 60 Detroit. At 1 million miles, a wrist pin broke and even though it wasn't burning any oil, I went ahead and had the engine overhauled. You could still see hone marks in all 6 cylinders. I was impressed.

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DO THIS -

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well this morning was big reds oil change again.. the odometer read 386345K..
fortunately this time was only a oil and oil filter change<for a change advance auto had shell rotella 15-40 on sale 13.99 a gallon> still that was $53.00 and carquest had my oil filter on sale for 15.77... so a oil change under 75.00 i'm doing good.
funny how last week checked the oil and had only used about a quart of oil <right at 7k miles> this morning <8k>down another 2 quarts, guess after 7k the oil is just used up and starts burning away...

just think in another 27 weeks or 14K or 2 oil changes big red will turn 400k...

Latest posts