daffodils overwintering in pots

Carrot lover

Sprout
Reaction score
so, I plan on planting a few daffodil bulbs in some 8 inch pots, to sell in the spring when they bloom, my idea was to get a 4 tired mini greenhouse off amazon to overwinter the pots in, will this keep the bulbs warm enough? here in Michigan it often gets to -15 in the winter, any tips, ideas, or suggestions welcome!
Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 4.02.28 PM.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is pretty tough to kill most daffodils from cold. i'm in Michigan also and the ground freezes solid here at times and they still survive that.

i think the problem with pots is that they get too hot too quickly in the spring and they also usually dry out fast and people don't notice.

Carrot lover

Sprout
Reaction score
It’s one thing if they are in the ground because they have lots of soil around them to insulate them, but if you put them in pots they say to have the pot at least 24 inches, but I’m wondering if the greenhouse will work to keep them insulated enough.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s one thing if they are in the ground because they have lots of soil around them to insulate them, but if you put them in pots they say to have the pot at least 24 inches, but I’m wondering if the greenhouse will work to keep them insulated enough.

i have daffodils here that are near the surface of the ground, barely covered by any dirt at all. they do just fine. there is no insulation around them. they freeze solid.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could put the pots in the ground for the winter. That would insulate them and also assure that they don't dry out. You could mulch over the top with coarse bark or a foot of pine needles.

Carrot lover

Sprout
Reaction score
You could put the pots in the ground for the winter. That would insulate them and also assure that they don't dry out. You could mulch over the top with coarse bark or a foot of pine needles.

normally i would just do that, but by "some 8 inch pots" i meant like 25 so i was wondering if the grenhouse would act as an insulater, because ive heard bulbs in pots need to have a pot at least 24 inches wide because of insulation pourposes.

Latest posts