Dahlias

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Going to finish checking all of the tubers this weekend and hope to start planting next week.....looks like we'll be getting some better weather.... Happy Planting!!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to hear from you RustyDHart. I was wondering if you also have a veggie garden or do you just do flowers? If so, how big is it and what do you grow?

Mary

scotexpat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:D Got all my Dahlias planted.today. I pre sprouted them and they got quite large so I bit the Bullet. The Weather forecast is great from here on ,so I think they will do really well.I can't wait to see those beautiful Blooms again,unfortunately neither can the Earwigs.:/

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finally got the last of my Dahlias planted today...about 1,200 plants total. Down from a few years ago...but 3 times more than last year. I would love to hear how the Dahlias are doing in other people's gardens in other parts of the country/world.....Happy Growing!!! Rusty

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Rusty!

My dahlias are above ground. Their growth has to be static for right now, tho'. It won't make it up to 50F again this afternoon. Some wind gusts above 30mph & rain. The weather is a little worse than it's been but it seems like forever since we had a full 24 hours of nice warm weather.

If you want to see my dahlia garden this year you'll have to go searching here for my posts on my 2012 garden, before & after pictures. I'm a little shy about the fact that in that picture I hadn't taken any of the weeds out since the beds were cultivated & the tubers were planted. Imma gettin' to it ;)!

I hope those sheep have been doing all they need to do for you to have beautiful dahlias this year! Here's Wishing You the Best of Luck.

Steve

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Hey Rusty!

My dahlias are above ground. Their growth has to be static for right now, tho'. It won't make it up to 50F again this afternoon. Some wind gusts above 30mph & rain. The weather is a little worse than it's been but it seems like forever since we had a full 24 hours of nice warm weather.

If you want to see my dahlia garden this year you'll have to go searching here for my posts on my 2012 garden, before & after pictures. I'm a little shy about the fact that in that picture I hadn't taken any of the weeds out since the beds were cultivated & the tubers were planted. Imma gettin' to it ;)!

I hope those sheep have been doing all they need to do for you to have beautiful dahlias this year! Here's Wishing You the Best of Luck.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I'll have to check out your plants......we all have weeds...nothing new in my garden...the weeds are doing VERY well!!!! I am going to plant some started heirloom tomato plants and egg plants this week....I have some pumpkins planted in one of the sheep compost piles.....great stuff. I had 40 lambs born this year as well and several Pyncheon chicks have hatched. My best to all, Rusty

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Usually dahlias do pretty well in MN, but this year they have been struggling. Once they lost their first flowers, the leaves started to yellow and get crispy. But now two weeks later they seem to be coming around! Lots of new buds and dark leaves.

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
4 Mackinac Island tubers planted on June 4 in Lexington MA; three sprouted yesterday and the fourth today. I have them in protective custody, which is to say surrounded by a cylinder of hardware cloth attached to two bamboo stakes. It protects them from chipmunks and bunnies who got through the mild winter with a huge population and like to eat certain flowers. They eat bachelor buttons and asters, ignore zinnias and snapdragons. I discourage them by sprinkling the flower bases with cayenne pepper, but I don't kid around with dahlias-- I'll only trust a real barrier.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always purchased Dahlias for the flower bed from a garden center, but this year I decided to try to grow my own from seed, and I am pleased with the results. In March I planted a few seeds of Unwin's Dwarf Dahlias, which are now beginning to flower.

d2.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely, Jackb. I wasn't aware you could plant dahlias from seed. I thought you needed tubers?

Latest posts