1. Dismiss Notice
  2. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Featured Thread: Rats, Rats, Rats!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Daughter invited me to come for a ride.

Discussion in 'About Me & My Garden' started by valley ranch, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Mar 17, 2017
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

Ranch / farm work is one of the most accident prone professions there is. ( A friend was wheelchair bound when he was thrown off by a gelding while riding in his round pen and hit his back on the fence. A friend was kicked in her face and spent 2 days in the hospital unconcous by a mare as she was being shod. A neighbor purchased a mare from the BLM , she bred the mare to a QH stallion, her yearling colt attacked and killed her husband while he was cleaning out his corral. A homeowner new to farm life and horses was hit in her head by a rearing mare was paralized and became wheelchair bound. Etc. ) I was born and raised on a farm. Horse breeding was my profession . I wasn't thrilled to the possibility to be injured / or crippled / or killed and so I did everything that I could to minimize that prospect. I attended every safety class , OSHA , and Workman's comp. class that I could find. I know that a stallion can be a time bomb and can go off at any time, so I spent countless hours with All of my stallions (as well as all other horses ) so that they were well schooled and knew the difference between paying attention to their handler wearing their regular halter or under saddle or without wearing anything , where they were extreamely well behaved no matter if there were mares ( or any horse for that matter ) around or not, and a separate leather "BREEDING " halter, chain over their nose, and a 30 ft. long line . They all KNEW the difference and their job . Still, accidents do happen.

valley ranch likes this.
  2. Mar 17, 2017
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    Life is accident prone! I was raised on a ranch, I live on a ranch. We sold our horses when the girls were younger, our youngest use to ride the Stallion, They were minis, wife bought the whole band of 8 because they were living in mud up to their knees. Girls always loved horses, I was of course concerned about the chance of injury, more so with our little one because she was so hands on. They made and sold items to aid our wild horses. We watched horse movies, eat off dishes with horses painted on them. But, I was reluctant to get any horses for the reason I mentioned. So I see notice she's made the bull calf a pet, he's getting larger getting to be a Bull Bull. And she's riding him, the animals are the girls by the by.

They~she worked other peoples ranches cared for, fed and mucked And trained their Animals.
    Just a while back, I walked down and watched her work, I hung out at the Kent's place and watched her training a horse to cart. She did repetitious things, demanding movements, and reactions Or Lack of reactions from the, in this case a horse. She began describing what she was doing and why, what the animal was thinking, and how what she was doing would bring about a desired or result that no progress could be made until this was true and both she and the horse knew it.

A kindred sprit, a friend seeing this, as I laid it out in picture and word, saw and said: It's time, I knew it, I was there close enough to smell the horse that after telling me re: the horse "I want her to be more than ready (for the cart) we ,in time, were riding for miles around old wagon trails as she trained how to act what not to be afraid of. So I allowed and a horse was brought in.

We'd seen her train Dogs, goats, cows, bulls, birds and frogs to do what was not the norm for them to do on demand.

There are people ,maybe you and I who, have done jobs, moved mountains and drudged for years and there are those who can do it better, closer to what when seen can only be described as the right way, because they have something given them by the Lord, who else, that let's them see into the animal and the animal see them as well.

The girls ski at an Expert Level, skiing Expert terrain and conditions there is danger.

I'm the most protective daddy in this world. When daughter told me: When I grow up and get my own horse it will be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I knew it was time, while I could be there to watch, while I could still be there!

There are those that can do a thing as it should be done, maybe if you and I had done things differently, the animals would have thought of us a little different and just maybe our opinion of them would be closer to what they deserve.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    ninnymary, thistlebloom and Nyboy like this.