Daylily disease - Need ID

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice about removing and burning the would-be flower heads, Annette. Will do!

Also I see that the beneficial nematode Steinernema Feltiae is the same I once used against Japanese beetles. It seemed to help, but who knows? My gardens are spread out over a couple acres, but I will try it around the area of these plants this coming Spring and hope for the best.

I realize now that I probably should have posted this thread under Diseases & Pests. Hindsight is 20/20, and I guess there is no way to move it there now.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just checked the AHS website. It seems the gall midge occurs in the Puget sound region. Came from Europe-not widespread here. However if you think it is infested I would burn it.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
However if you think it is infested I would burn it.

I'm thinking about going that route.

This pest had to do some travelling to get here from the Pacific northwest. I bought these daylilies from a place in Tennessee, also far from the home of the dreaded midge.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going that route.

This pest had to do some travelling to get here from the Pacific northwest. I bought these daylilies from a place in Tennessee, also far from the home of the dreaded midge.
I would doubt that it's the midge. What I read was as of 2017. Maybe you can drench it in something nasty. I am still going with needs more water.