Dead asparagus?

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!

I planted my asparagus crowns a couple of weeks ago and nothing has come up. I planted them on the first day of spring and now I think I may have planted them too late.

Should I expect some sprouts/stalks this year?

Thanks!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
how deep did you plant them??? Asparagas like to be covered a little at a time in a trench like potatoes...adding soil as they come up...

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted mine at the same time.. the package said feb/mar plant time.. and I did plant them at the end of march.. :( I dont think mine have come up yet either..

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
FWIW, my asparagus just started sending up shoots the last 2 days, maybe a week or less till I can cut :weee. Mine are established plants tho. I would give them some more time yet.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought you really couldn't expect much if anything from asparagus the first year? I thought it was a perennial veggie that needs 2-3 years to mature?!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can't expect much, but they should still send up foliage. My guess is you need to be patient. If you get impatient, gently scratch some soil away and have a look to see if they are starting. As long as they are getting some regular watering, I think they will be fine.

Also, don't cut anything until the 2nd year! I hate to state this, as it is somewhat obvious, however I have read about people cutting off the ferny foliage, because they didn't understand that asparagus grows like that.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK I will be patient. It's really hard to though! I can't remember exactly but I think I only buried them a couple of inches deep. They are in a trench to so I can keep covering them.
Thanks for the encouragement!

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
RedClayGardener said:
OK I will be patient. It's really hard to though! I can't remember exactly but I think I only buried them a couple of inches deep. They are in a trench to so I can keep covering them. Thanks for the encouragement!
really??? are they like potatos?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
RedClayGardener said:
OK I will be patient. It's really hard to though! I can't remember exactly but I think I only buried them a couple of inches deep. They are in a trench to so I can keep covering them. Thanks for the encouragement!
really??? are they like potatos?
No, they're not like potatoes, they're perennial roots, and you want a deep, well prepared bed for them. The reason you plant them at the bottom of a trench (a wide trench!) is that you cover them as they grow, bringing the soil level up to normal, the first year. It gives them a deep root run which promotes a strong root system, that's what supports your harvest in subsequent years.

By the way, about that first harvest in the second year - I'd make it a light harvest. Don't take too many, although you certainly deserve to enjoy all of your hard work! But think more towards the third year for the first bountiful harvest and you'll be rewarded with even better harvests from there out. It gives the roots time to really grow and thrive.

In the fall, after you've cut down the foliage, mulch with good compost or, as I do, well rotted cow manure. I also feed them with Bulbtone, to encourage that root growth that's so important.

Latest posts