Devonviolet Acres

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's so interesting - start gardening! And I, too, in the boat observers. But I'm glad that our trees have grown up! :)
I also love the blue violets. I do not know, they look like ours or not. But for many years I tried to grow them from seed. Do not grow up ...
And suddenly, like a miracle, appeared themselves. I do not know where. Maybe the birds or the wind brought seeds. But Violet grew! I did not even put on a different location. Just protect.
IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0304.JPG

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's so interesting - start gardening! And I, too, in the boat observers. But I'm glad that our trees have grown up! :)
I also love the blue violets. I do not know, they look like ours or not. But for many years I tried to grow them from seed. Do not grow up ...
And suddenly, like a miracle, appeared themselves. I do not know where. Maybe the birds or the wind brought seeds. But Violet grew! I did not even put on a different location. Just protect.
View attachment 12141 View attachment 12142
Very pretty! I bought seeds last year (before I knew Baymule would give me plants), but haven't tried planting them yet, because I have been too busy to keep an eye on them, so they don't dry out. In the next week I'm planning to start some seedlings for the garden, so might try starting some of the violet seeds.

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When we moved to our land a year ago last January. I had several false starts getting a garden in. The problem was we had so many projects going, with getting chickens going & learning about raising goats, as well as starting with puppy livestock guardian dogs, we just didn't have energy to start a garden from scratch.

About a month ago I bought 2 bunches of onion sets at the feed store. A couple days later I got the digging fork out & started digging. DH took over & we now have a plot that is about 14X14'. 2 weeks ago we finally got the onion sets in the ground, as well some cold weather veggies I got at Wal-Mart (broccoli, cauliflower, & cabbage). I also had some brussel sprouts, that I started last year in long pots. They never got big enough to produce last year. But, now seem to be putting on height. I'm not sure if they will produce, this year, or put on seed heads. But decided to put them in the ground too.

Another trip to Wal-Mart we got some herbs. I thought one pot was chives. But when I got them to plant yesterday, I learned they were Leeks. So, instead of a row of loosely clumped chives, we had to plant each individual thin plant. :eek: I poked a hole with a piece of 1" dowel & DH put the ruling plant & firmed the soil. We ended up with 3-14' rows (spaced 4-5"). :th

We know we have rabbits & could see evidence of nibbling. But, until yesterday, we hadn't put our fence up.

Yesterday after I had planted several rows of Collard & Red Russian Kale seeds, we finally put T-Posts in the ground & put up 2X4" welded wire fence. Since our rabbits around here all seem to be tiny (2"wide X 5" long) we also needed 2' chicken wire around the bottom. We are planning to make the garden a lot bigger, so this fence is temporary, being attached with zip ties.
0321160932a.jpg

0320161828.jpg

0320161803.jpg

As I said previously, we are planning to get some local bio-solids compost. I can't find it now, but I think someone cautioned about heavy metals in bio-solids compost. I called the company near us & the owner told me "minimum standards" is 41ppm. Theirs is 3ppm & they are able to call it organic. I was originally told it would be $10/TON. But that was LARGE quantities (100+ tons). By the cubic yard it is $35/yd. We can get 10 ton dump truck loads for $25/TON. :celebrate That's still an awesome price!

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Things are looking good at Devonviolet's place!

You're gonna love those leeks! Chives are nice, but leeks are a special treat.
Thanks Smart Red. I'm looking forward to getting Leeks. I tried growing them in PA, but they didn't do well. I am not sure they will take, since they are so tiny/thin. But, am really hoping they take off!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you plant the seedlings in a 'ditch' that you can gradually fill in through the summer? Or are they just growing like onions at soil level? Either way makes great tasting leeks, but the ditch may give you leeks the size of baseball bats.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't know about planting them in a ditch. However, I am sure I could mound compost around them as they grow. I have never seen leeks that big, but I wouldn't complain if mine got that big. :thumbsup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 'ditch' is intended to blanch the roots as they grow. The more they are blanched, the more white leek to green leek leaves.

As someone mentioned before, be careful adding to the ditch or you will have even more dirt-filled leeks than usual.

Latest posts