Devonviolet Acres

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When the drugs and booze wore off after finding a snake in my kitchen. I called in a exterminator, I told him make my house glow use your most toxic gas. He said problem was yard was filled with their favorite food grasshoppers. Till I got rid of the grasshopper I will always have snakes. Ps you can not buy a mongoose in NY.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guinea fowl then. They rather take care of themselves and prefer roosting in the trees over inside a coop. You've got the stream for water. All you need is someone to toss a scoop of pellets out every day or so and the problem is solved.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, you don't like your neighbors either?

B-I-L says his father preferred Guinea hen eggs to chicken, duck, or turkey eggs and always kept a dozen or so on their ranch.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Huh! Guinea is more compact and meatier than pheasant. If cooked whole as we usually have it around here, I would think it easy to tell the difference. All the pheasant I've eaten is long, lean, and skinny.

Perhaps the cage-raised birds are different?

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had 3 French Guineas. They were not the smartest birds in the hen house! The chickens ate more bugs than the Guineas. When we got tired of them eating so much feed & making lots of noise (and I don't mean they were good watch birds - 'cause they weren't) we finally butchered them.

We had them for a little more than a year and never got any Guinea eggs. From what I read and frim watching YouTube videos, it seemed (from their squawk) that we had females. Although, when we butchered them, I didn't find any eggs in production.

They had lots of yellow fat (which we rendered for cooking - strong flavor, but good). We knew meat would be tough. And it was! They have all been used for soup - with a long slow simmer in the crock pot). Great game bird flavor! Yummmmy!

Once we had 2 fewer roosters & 3 fewer Guineas, our feed bill went down by half - with 16 remaining laying hens & a turkey hen. I seriously doubt we will be getting any more Guineas!

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those pheasants in Wisconsin may be long, lean, and skinny, however the many, many pheasants that I have hunted in Cal. are plump and have a very nice layer of very yellow fat. YUMMMMMM !!! :drool :thumbsup

Latest posts