"Different" Project.....Grow a Square Watermelon

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would love to try this. That was our plan this year when we planted our watermelon, but the ducks ruined that. :/ We were going to use an old milk gallon. All you have to do is cut the top part off of the jug and place your watermelon in it once it starts to grow.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know what I would like to do?? I would like to grow an ordinary round watermelon!!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
At Epcot, in Walt Disney World in FL, they have quite extensive hydroponic gardens and you can take a tour of them (which we did, when we were there about a year ago for our honeymoon -- it's REALLY cool to see everything they're growing!!! And the price isn't too bad, about $15 each, I highly recommend it if you have *any* interest in gardening)

. . . and in those hydroponic gardens they grow a lot of the salad and herbs and so on that they use in the more upscale Disney restaurants.

One of the things they do is to grow their cucumbers in a Mickey Mouse ears mold, so that they can get slices of cucumbers that look like the famous silhouette! They had one just started when we were there, and it seemed awfully easy, they just put a small baby cuke in the mold, and then they said that it would just grow to fill the shape.

I never thought about doing that here at home but I suppose the principle with watermelons in jugs is the same!

V. cool :)

Whitewater

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those were a fad in Japan a few years ago. The original idea was that they could be packed tighter for shipment but the intensive labor involved more than ate up the savings in shipment.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Those were a fad in Japan a few years ago. The original idea was that they could be packed tighter for shipment but the intensive labor involved more than ate up the savings in shipment.
Oh yes, I saw that on some food network show!

I was going to say for fun... we should all create our own molds one year and have a contest who made the most fun produce in the garden! That would be an awesome little project for next year. :)

This year.... I haven't gotten 1 watermeloln to pollinate as ants are eating my watermelon flowers! ARGH!

Latest posts