Digging into February

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck with the storms, Nyboy. Hopefully the warm will follow and the snow will be fleeting. We're getting into the 40s today and sending the temps on to you.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red We get the 40's and 50's before NyBoy...
Of course you get them first. Just promise not to sap all the heat from the air before it gets to Nyboy. I'm going outside to prune a few grape vines until it starts raining later today. Still sunny but that wind negates the warmth.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Smart Red, do you have a method to prune your grapes that you prefer? I'm not good at it. One year I chopped off so much that I pretty much had no harvest. Another year we had a late frost that took most of our apple blossoms and I thought that the grapes were goners, but they grew new buds and I had a big harvest. So, give me some advice. Thanks!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was out digging in the garden today, trying to get it ready to get my cool weather seeds in the ground, a mockingbird came over to join me. It hung out maybe 10 feet away but occasionally got within 4 or 5 feet to grab a bite of something. I've never had a mockingbird hang out that close before. Strange behavior.

Today's temps in the mid 60's but with a strong 20 to 25 MPH south wind, hopefully blowing some warm air north but only for those that want it. That south wind was murder on my allergies. Tomorrow is forecast to be in the upper 70's, which would be a heat record. I've already had two of those heat records this month.

I just don't know when to start my cool weather seeds. It feels like it's time when I go out, but the calendar says no way. It's a crazy season.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
At least just one bird. Worry when you see a flock, especially if they are eyeing you.

Latest posts