Digging into February

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is now dark and still snowing lightly. We think we got 30". Skiing in the woods was impossible, as we sunk up to our hips. We did go for a short ski on the road. I hope our new porch roof is strong!

image.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In tim i dating!

I would feel trapped, @buckabucka , and probably for good reason.

It was a mid-40's afternoon from a high-teens morning. We haven't had snow in 4 days ... and I still had problems getting the pickup out of my parking space. No pavement, I have spun on ice, melted that, spun some more, dug some holes with the drive wheels. It's a little uphill to the road. Tomorrow AM I may decide to lay the tire chains out on the ground for traction -- altho' the tires shouldn't be throwing mud onto the fence with the cold temperatures.

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy, yes, it is a belvedere. We don't often climb the ladder to go up there, although the view is nice.

In the winter, it is closed off. In the summer, it serves as air conditioning. We open all the windows (up there, for the summer, and the rest of the house, just at night). It creates a chimney effect, drawing the warm air up and out. If you close the house windows in the cool early morning hours, the house stays cool all day.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had not heard the term Belvedere before either but I had heard the term "widow's walk". That name supposedly comes from the wives of sailing ship captains having one on top of her house so she could watch for her husband's ship coming into port so she'd know she wasn't a widow. Sailing was dangerous business.

Some friends built a house on a long country road. When someone asked how to recognize it as they were hosting a church function, they were told to look for the house with the deer blind on top. There are not many sailing ships in Arkansas but there are a lot of deer and deer hunters.

Buckabucka, do you have a walk around that or is it enclosed? I bet you could see great sunsets from up there.

Latest posts