1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. A "cute" garden bug is eating ALL my peas!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

dill, dill stems and dill seeds

Discussion in 'Herbs' started by flowerbug, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Feb 6, 2018
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

Chickie'sMomaInNH Garden Master

thanks for the reminder Ridge! i mostly use the leaves when i'm cooking Thai food so i never really think of using just the seed & calling them coriander. i think dh uses coriander when he cooks curry but i could be wrong about that.

2. Feb 6, 2018
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Good to know on cutting back. I’ve just picked a few leaves and plant goes to seed quick.

ducks4you likes this.
  3. Feb 6, 2018
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

I treat a lot of things that way, cut them back so they have to regrow. Oregano is cut to the ground. With Basil I leave a bud for it to grow from, actually two since they are in pairs. Parsley gets whacked pretty close to the ground, it will come back as long as there is a bud. I treat some of your favorites that way, kale and chard. Just leave a tiny leaf so they can keep growing. I can usually keep most of these going a long time as long as I don't let them go to seed.

thistlebloom likes this.
  4. Feb 6, 2018
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I don't bother to do ANYTHING to my oregano. It grows like a weed. I might transplant some of it to my vegetable beds this year to help with weeds.

5. Feb 6, 2018
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

I dehydrate oregano so I cut it back when I harvest. I often put up two quarts a year. I've found it best to whack it to the ground when I do that, if i cut it off up high that stem dies anyway and is just in the way.

I hear you on the weeds though, my problem is Bermuda grass. I plan on doing the same thing, restart the oregano clump in a cleaner area. My current oregano clump is probably five feet in diameter. That's a lot of oregano.

ducks4you likes this.
  6. Feb 7, 2018
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Mine is just as big and tries to spread. I REALLY need to dig and separate and fix my "oregano bed", which I meant to be an herb garden but it has gotten out of hand. 'O'

Ridgerunner likes this.
  7. Jul 6, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

for the first round of making dill pickles for this season i went out yesterday to cut some dill from the area it has regrown from seeds.

there was one lone plant a bit aways from the others and i cut most of it down. with all the rains we've been having and it's uncompetitive environment the stems even a few feet above the ground were almost an inch across and still pretty tender. so i've been munching on them. :) some i diced up and put in the jars. my brother said he wanted a lot of dill...

ninnymary likes this.