Disaster With Grandmother's China

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If Grandma's dishes are marked, it is quite possible you could buy replacements. Generally, sets of dishes can be quite reasonable. A lot of folks just don't bother with "china" anymore. Good news about the table! I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try Repacements Ltd. That's where my parents go when they need to replace our dishes as they break.

Actually a slightly funny story about that. Back in Kindergarten, our teacher was trying to teach us colors by naming things and said "what color is a breakfast plate?" When I didn't answer "white" the teacher called my parents thinking I had a vision problem to be informed that, no I had answered correctly, our day to day dishes were indeed "brown and black speckled" (they still are)

We've lost a few treasured pieces of china over the years. Not so much due to us as due to our former housekeeper. She wasn't clumsy but she tened to take her kids with her and they never really grasped that the things on our shelves were not for them to throw around. The annoying thing was that she would never tell us (lest we ask her to pay for the replacement) so items would just spontaneously develop cracks and holes or just have things "mysteriously" fall off them. Broke my favorite Spode miniature teacup and some really nice Royal Copenhagen. She;s long since gone (literally she died of liver complications about eight years ago) so our stuff is now only at risk from ourselves. So all of what we have now is pretty safe and I don't have to worry about favorite dishes breaking. Of course, it doesn't hurt that my current favorite dish is metal and so technically can't break. Though I do handle it gingerly, lest the enamel chip
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv868%3C%3Dot%3E6%3A56%3D8%3A%3A%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27766%3B4%3B53244ot1lsi

BTW if DigitS's method does not work try this Invocation.

Oh Child of the Web, I command you to vacate! Be gone from this place and come no more! In the Name of Atlach-Nacha, the Spinner in the Dark, I compel you. Depart!
(this is a lot more effective in the original, but as that is beyond the ability of mere human throats to pronounce......)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I love the idea of photographing those treasures from your Mom. I think taking a beautiful, "artsy" photo of an heirloom and displaying it is inspired! Oh, I like that enameled tray! Fun!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted to use my granndmother's china for Thanksgiving. Last night my nephew and his girlfriend stopped by, I asked him to bring box down from attic. I heard a scream (nephew claims was shout) then a box of china falling down a flight of stairs. At top of stairs a Tarantula (his words) leaped out at him , causing him to drop box. Every piece broke.
NYB You just can't catch break, can you?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've lost my paternal grandmother's crystal goblets one by one. First was the '89 earthquake in the Bay Area, then with every successive move. I've got 3 left. So sad to lose the physical memories of our ancestors.