Dishes

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am currently weeding though way too many dishes, pots & pans, disposable ware, plastic ware, you name it. Seriously, Dad (94), and myself (57), do not need a who;e bunch of food cooked, nor eaten. And then add to the fact that late step mom seems to have hoarded pounds and bags pf powdered sugar. smh

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to smile looking at a drawer label at the thrift store. It said "greeting cards." Ha! Someone saves the unused ones just like I do ... Ya know, the various sizes of envelopes can come in handy even if the Norman Rockwell illustrations are beginning to look a little dated.

Steve
could take that 3 drawer one in and trade it for the 4 drawer ...

I have a friend, really only a friend online. She worked same place I did years ago and we have stayed in touch. She asked me if I had a lot of emails in my inbox? She said that she had over 3500 emails and saved them because they were nice messages from me and a couple of other friends. I was kind of embarrassed to say I delete all of my read messages.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
there's no reason to use a separate cup for each drink. rinse it out and leave it on the counter to be reused. i do this all the time. not dead yet. wash it in the evening.

i really don't mind mundane tasks, i can think about all sorts of things and enjoy what i'm doing...

DS and I each put our glass in certain places, so we are not washing our water drinking glasses, but I still seem to wash a lot, but I think it is from drinking things besides water, like milk, kombucha tea, juice. I like the mundane tasks too, but it just seems there are more and more tasks and less time. I guess because DH and DD did their share of things, now DS and I are just doing the other things and we both have jobs, and now I have the granddaughter to watch now and then, and DD and the baby come to visit me and I do not get much done.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before I started working in a kitchen, I didn't mind washing dishes. When I actually cook at home, dishes are no big deal, because I wash as I go. When I get home and have to clean up after everyone else....into the dishwasher they go! I have had good dishwashers and bad ones...little tiny ones that could barely wash a meal's worth, to big commercial ones with butcher block countertops that had to be rolled to the sink and would hold every dish in our house.

I think dishes get cleaner when washed by hand, plus they last longer and don't get chipped and worn nearly as much, and it is a very relaxing thing, to put a little music on after dinner and stand at the sink. I also enjoy being able to take five minutes with a machine and just hit start and walk away, too.

I wash by hand. I just thought about it. I do wash while cooking and I think I get shocked when I go in and find a million dishes, but now I think some of this is after the meals DS cooked or when DD comes with the baby. DD seems to use every dish in the house.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a friend, really only a friend online. She worked same place I did years ago and we have stayed in touch. She asked me if I had a lot of emails in my inbox? She said that she had over 3500 emails and saved them because they were nice messages from me and a couple of other friends. I was kind of embarrassed to say I delete all of my read messages.
Sounds like my wife. She never deletes an email, text, etc from phone (that’s another story) and wonders why things slow down. She killed one computer because she used up ALL the memory where there wasn’t enough to even open it. They are all so important.....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm the one that usually washes the dishes, whether I cook or not. I don't mind, it helps get my fingernails and cuticles clean. I am retired, no need for my wife to do that. I was the one washing dishes before I retired too. To me it's just not that big of a deal. I do like the wash water hot, that's soothing to my hands. And I try to keep the water clean by rinsing things before they go in, especially try to get oil or grease off to preserve my soap suds.. I soak things beforehand as much as I can. It seems when I make and can jelly or chicken broth I spend half my time washing dishes. Just part of the process.

We also use the dishwasher for certain things, mainly dishes, cups and glasses, and silverware. Before I start cooking or make and can stuff I clean the kitchen by loading the dishwasher. I don't like the clutter. Unless we are keeping the grandkids there are only two of us. To me it's mind-boggling how much stuff gets used.

I have noticed that when my wife thinks she might be washing the dishes, there are a lot fewer of them. Haven't figured that out yet. But to be fairer, she sometimes cooks part of her breakfast or lunch, we eat those separately. If she cooks those, she will usually wash her cooking pan and stuff. She doesn't have to, it's generally stuff neither of us will use later in the day. She could leave them for me to do.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I each put our glass in certain places, so we are not washing our water drinking glasses, but I still seem to wash a lot, but I think it is from drinking things besides water, like milk, kombucha tea, juice. I like the mundane tasks too, but it just seems there are more and more tasks and less time. I guess because DH and DD did their share of things, now DS and I are just doing the other things and we both have jobs, and now I have the granddaughter to watch now and then, and DD and the baby come to visit me and I do not get much done.

i rinse out a glass after using it for milk or anything else other than food and set it back. it really won't kill you. wash it at the end of the day. i'll also rinse out a bowl used for cereal and use it again. milk and cereal aren't harboring super negative bacteria all that often (if they are you can usually smell them if your sniffer is working right :) ).

my only exception is if i use it for food or something greasy that will stink, like a mug of chili or such (which is likely for lunch today :) ).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i keep e-mails most of the time because they are my way of remembering some things too. i do file them by e-mail address or nickname of the person so i don't have to search a bunch inbox e-mails. i keep inbox e-mails to remind me of things to do, but those are usually only a dozen or two before i go and take care of them at one shot and then those get deleted (they are reminders from places that want me to go and download stuff which i only do every 2-4months).

i don't keep physical cards from everyone any more, but i do keep a few which are particularly funny or touching. if i don't have a recent address for someone i tear off the return address lable or portion and set it on my shelf which is my unorganized address book. i so rarely use those bits that it's just a bad habit at this point.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that I keep a ton of Christmas cards - not that many people send Christmas cards these days ;).

No, I buy 10 in a box, send a half dozen and keep the remainder ... for decades! I DO make use of some and, admittedly, find more use for envelopes than the cards. Cards from close family, I often keep. Just like I have trouble deleting their pictures in various devices.

Emails, the service has "folders." Once again, I have trouble deleting family email but I will go back and delete business stuff. Not often enough but I try to limit some things. I used to write grants as a volunteer. It's been difficult for me to delete some of that stuff (or throw those grant requests away). I worked hard on them! When they were successful :celebrate!

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dishes; when I lived in SC the past 10 yrs, the property had an insufficient well, as well as our county being in drought. So the first few years I was there, I would mainly wash dishes at breakfast time. Unless I cooked something that made a lot of mess. I was also using gray water for gardens too back then. No dishwasher there either. All of the graywater from the kitchen/laundry drained into the shallow ditch running through the property.

Other stuff; I learned back in the 80's, as a military wife, what 4K lbs shipment looked like. So I have weeded/deleted/donated etc most everything since then. I didn't even use email/internet till 1999 though. For years, I kept my inbox cleaned out, then I joined a forum that helped me deal with my bad marriage, so now I am up to 8,500 emails. But that's just the yahoo. I keep my gmail box thinned down.

Latest posts