Distressing Tomato Problem

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It could be a few things. If none of the leaves were/are yellowing, there is a good chance it may be bacterial wilt. Did you purchase all of the plants at the same nursery? It could be over-watering, but there are usually other symptoms.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DSC_0973.JPG

See the wilted almost dead in the foreground and the tall healthy right next to them in the background. This happened in one day

DSC_0974.JPG

No yellowing, no fungus, no discoloration, no insect damage. A lot of rain this week. These are gone beyond help right?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a couple plants do that right after a lot of rain, let them dry out a little and see if they perk back up.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks really bad. I think that's a virus. Maybe verticillium wilt . A few years ago tomatoes were wiped out across Massachusetts. They said the blight came from a big box store and spread through the wind. We lost almost all of our tomatoes except for a few that were disease resistant plants.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Been doing a lot of research on different wilts in tomatoes and really think it is water wilt, based on time line, extent of the wilting, and no discoloration of the leaves prior to onset of wilt (most of the disease one there was yellowing or browning before) According to all the info there is little to no hope for the affected plants and trying to save them can make them a vector for bringing disease into my garden so I will be pulling all affected plants tomorrow. and :hit while I do it.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forget the brand name of the sprayer, but it was one of those tallish opaque plastic ones with the press down pressurizer/pump. It was roundup. Surprisingly, I did not see my boss give him heck for it, but she might have.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is devastating to see those big green tomatoes on there and know you have to pull them. Every gardening year is a surprise, -you never know what might come along.

I would get them out of there ASAP though, in hopes of saving the others.

Latest posts