Do You Battle a Invasive Plant ? NY Ban Sale of Certain Plants

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too lazy to look it up but Canadian geese were on endangered list in late 50's?

Passenger pigeons were not understood. By the time we understood that they only bred with huge numbers, we had killed off the huge numbers. Thus causing their slow extinction.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When the environment changes, whether through activities of man or activities of mother nature, some species thrive and increase in number, some go extinct. Some adjust and just get on with it. Maybe their food or range changes.

Yes, passenger pigeons are extinct due to man. There are more deer in North America now than there were when Columbus sailed, due to man changing habitat. Change is normal for mother nature.

Mother nature abhors a vacuum. If one form of life dies out, she'll fill the void with another. She doesn't care if that is mankind, deer, grasshoppers, or microbes. Life is life and she doesn't care. Eventually something will change and something else will move in. As part of mankind I do care. I want my granddaughter to have something when she is as old as I am. Getting all mystical and mythical about Canada geese is not going to keep mother nature from making some management decisions if their numbers become unmanageable, whether in total across the world numbers or in a microenvironment where they just get too crowded. In my opinion, keeping the numbers within manageable limits makes the flock stronger and our environment cleaner.

$60 for a goose! Wow! There is a lot of waste there, which also rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure lots of people would eat them if they didn't know where they came from.

By all means population control through shooting or whatever is a good thing, I agree there. What gets me is the waste. That and the fact that we tend to go our own way when it comes to population control, I'm talking about following natural selection. We go in the opposite direction than what mother nature would have it. As an example - hunters tend to shoot the larger bucks with bigger racks, some hunters don't care if they shoot a buck with fawns (if they have fawns they were obviously successful). I bet that you can tell that I have a hate for trophy hunters.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL here goose dinner is for the rich, middle class eat chicken or turkey .

With how tough goose tends to be that sounds surprising. I guess prepared in the right way it might be good - soaked in lime juice or maybe cooked with papaya or pineapple to tenderize it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The good news is that Bucks never have fawns. There are no fawns during hunting season. Hunters do shoot big antlered deer-they eat them just like they would a doe. It's not like they cut the head off and let the rest rot.

As far as destruction, deer can be worse than any animal.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There also may be a heritage thing. There are a lot of places (England and Germany notably) where goose is what you are supposed to eat for Christmas Dinner, though a lot of those places now consider turkey and equally viable option (fact is, a lot of people don't much like the taste of goose) I imagine the French have a few good recipes too. After they've taken the foie gras out, I assume they eat the rest of the goose in the name of thrift.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The good news is that Bucks never have fawns. There are no fawns during hunting season. Hunters do shoot big antlered deer-they eat them just like they would a doe. It's not like they cut the head off and let the rest rot.

As far as destruction, deer can be worse than any animal.

I was typing in a hurry, so worded it wrong. No fawns during the hunting season? I've seen a few groups pass through during early bow season, usually including a buck and doe. You can't say that all hunters do that - there are plenty out there that do cut their heads off and leave the rest to rot so they can have the head or even just the antlers mounted. I've seen a few headless bodies while trespassing even. (I know - bad! But it's not like I smash peoples' windows in with bats. I stick to the woodland.)

Again - I have to question the definitions that you attach to some of the words you use.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every deer harvested has to be tagged and brought to an inspection point. IF they are, they are not hunters but poachers that are breaking the law.

Fawns are born in spring (few late spring) and are never with the bucks but with the does. Hunting season is in the fall (mating season when fawns are already weaned). Meat hunters kill large does while some hunt for antlers/meat. In Midwest deer are like fleas on a dog.

Tame geese is outstanding-tender and moist. Wild goose or duck-depends what they've eaten. River duck recipe is bake duck on wood dish. When duck is thoroughly done, throw away and eat wood.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO, I won't argue with what you've seen, but those folks aren't hunters, as Seed explained. I know around here poaching is a serious offense, and I would have to suppose that that would be true nearly everywhere. If you see headless carcasses then you should inform your game warden.

There are hunting seasons for different things, and never for does when it's fawning time.

It is hunters that fund conservation efforts through the buying of tags and licenses and other things.

A lot of people Disneyfy wildlife and animals in general, and let themselves be influenced by groups that would have us all charged with animal abuse for owning flocks and herds.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are not hunters but poachers very well said !!!! Deer are like fleas on a dog. For her job my sister leaves for work early morning . She takes a highway most of the trip,she told me every morning she sees at least 3 dead deer on side of road .

Latest posts