Do You Battle a Invasive Plant ? NY Ban Sale of Certain Plants

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Then they're poachers then, I'll alert the game warden the next time I come across a body. I would assume that laws like that are pretty hard to enforce. I'm starting to think that I live a concentrated population of crazy, irresponsible rednecks - which is probably true.

Deer being as plentiful as "fleas on a dog" shouldn't mean anything. They're here, we're constantly interacting with them, might as well take the precaution to keep their bloodlines healthy - for their sake and ours. If we keep going like we are now, the bloodlines will become diluted with all sorts undesirable genetics and the damage irreversible. Yes I do think that we should treat them similarly to our livestock, but one of our priorities should be to follow mother nature's way as to keep them fit for the wild. Please don't look at animals like they're plastic sandwich bags that were meant to be thrown in the trash as soon as you were done with them or something, they're living and breathing just as we are.

Strange when it comes to the fawns during hunting season. I suppose that the bucks could have just been looking for does, or were just curious about the babies. About how long do the fawns stay with the mother? And about how long do they keep their characteristic spots? Do you think that climate change could be throwing their normal cycles off balance? Many of the local (and respectable) hunters here have noticed ruts and scratch marks on trees (technical word for that?) from deer antlers about the same time that my dad and I saw the fawns.

Thistle- couldn't help but cringe when you used "Disneyfy." I do not associate myself with those groups and find them disgusting (disgusting is the only word that I can think of to describe them right now).

Seedcorn - having spent a good portion of my life working and living on a farm specializing in waterfowl, I disagree on your assertion that domesticated goose is "tender and moist". But then again we don't feed our geese a diet made up of 100% corn, pen them up in tiny cages, and force-feed them. "Tame" duck however, is a completely different story. We can agree on wild duck and goose, that meat could make a large dog's gums bleed.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
To each his own on eating goose. Mine ran free-in fact had to force them to creek. Too nosey, wanted to know what was going on at house..... Glad they are gone!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO, I wasn't throwing you in that group. It was a general statement.

My neighbor kids love to hang out at our house, and the other day my favorite little buddy showed up with an ancient copy of Bambi that she wanted to watch. On VHS.
I have, probably, one of the last VHS players in the Northern Hemisphere, but for sure in my neighborhood.
That particular, very popular movie, does a great job of anthropomorphizing forest creatures and vilifying humans.
That's why "Disneyfy" came to mind when we were talking about deer.

I don't claim to have a lot of experience with lots of hunters, but the ones I know are out there to put meat on the table, not trophies on the wall.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know, I just wanted to distinguish myself from that group. I had a good idea of why you chose to use Disneyfy, it's actually a really good word to use in the case - still made me cringe, never did like Disney movies.

Geese are incredibly noisy (is that what you meant seed?) and I find their constant hissing during the breeding season agitating.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No but they are that as well. Also walking, talking poop machines. Maybe though the cheapest meat you can raise. Should be more popular among some sects of society. When goose was on eggs, gander use to come sit beside me, once in while he would crawl into my lap-don't know where he got that bright idea from. They were odd.

I like goose, just don't want them. IF anyone tries to feed them grain based diet, be ready for major leg, health issues.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No but they are that as well. Also walking, talking poop machines. Maybe though the cheapest meat you can raise. Should be more popular among some sects of society. When goose was on eggs, gander use to come sit beside me, once in while he would crawl into my lap-don't know where he got that bright idea from. They were odd.

I like goose, just don't want them. IF anyone tries to feed them grain based diet, be ready for major leg, health issues.

We've had a gander do that before, same scenario and I don't get it either. I kind of think that they get lonely when the females are busy sitting on the eggs.

I don't mix well with geese either, although I do like them. Too noisy with my heightened sense of hearing, hardpan the soil, and always seem to be able to find a way over the garden fence and end up wrecking things.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My neighbor kids love to hang out at our house, and the other day my favorite little buddy showed up with an ancient copy of Bambi that she wanted to watch. On VHS.
I have, probably, one of the last VHS players in the Northern Hemisphere, but for sure in my neighborhood.

Probably not. ALL of our VCRS still have VHS players, mostly because I STILL haven't figured out how to record to a DVR (or I have figured out how to record, but not how to take a disc out then put it back in and record some more on it (so I can keep the same programs on the same discs) In fact, when my grandma passed away five or so years ago, the only thing I specifically requested out of her possessions was her VCR, since it was a combo one as well (that one is now our sunroom VCR)

Another reason I still need a cassette player is because I have a lot of Japanese stuff on tape (Japan has a different DVD code than us in the US, but their VHS system was NSTC like ours, unlike England and Europe with their PAL. Though of course even they have moved off of cassettes by now (Though that is not as big a deal as I feared as I have discovered that Grandma's VCR (and therefore possibly all of ours since they are the same model) have DVD players that are region-free.)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting as I'm opposite. Don't miss lines in VCR, stretched tapes, etc

Latest posts