Dog Path

zita

Sprout
Reaction score
we once had a lab who thought chickens were free game till he caught our meanest rooster and they both got caught on an electric fence during his escape! It was so so funny. Both walked away whole, in separate directions, but our lab never again grabbed a chicken. The the way the rooster stayed mean:lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
8098_yard_debs_045.jpg

This would be William the Destroyer!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awww, he is sooo very handsome!!
We had a black/white Springer when I was a kid ... his name was Freckles, and he was the BEST dog!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
William is Duetcher Wachtelhund. I think I spelled that right. (A german hunting breed!) I have become pretty immune to those begging eyes. :idunno

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
VERY COOL!!! Big fan of the rare hunting breeds (well at least rare in the U.S.)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
VERY COOL!!! Big fan of the rare hunting breeds (well at least rare in the U.S.)
Thanks Jarred. Husband is pretty proud of him. ;)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh he is so handsome!!

To save stress, I'd either put up a hot wire around the beds, or give up and let him have the perimeter of the yard as a path.

If you made a raised bed along the fence would he jump into it?

Years ago now, my husband made me two raised, enclosed gardens so our dogs coudn't get to my plants.

Here are some old photos of them...
Greenhouse200601email.jpg

MorningGloryArchemail.jpg

61109CoveredPlanteremail.jpg

Here is what the inside looked like, I used an old ladder to make a "Square Foot" type planter.

120408InsideGreenHouseemail.jpg

I have the problem of a husband who says the backyard is the "dog's domain" (Our backyard has three separate fenced areas, one area for the chickens and the back vegetable garden, one area for our Desert Tortoise, and the rest of the yard is for Spartacus.

Spartacus is never outside by himself, and all my planting areas are either raised or enclosed where he couldn't get to them.

I had this photo from 2005 when we first got Spartacus, I tried to have my garden, and paths for him to run. You notice he is not on the path! But, he was still a pup then.

Feb2305Backyardemal.jpg

He pretty much stays out of this bed that is in his area,
Feb18AlyssuminCitrusbedemail.jpg

With a bed raised like that, you can put a hot wire along it, and that would keep out any critters I would think.

Hope this gave you some ideas.