Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Pray for us. The state that the previous water supervisor (18 yrs, lives Here) left it, in secrecy, neglected, is forcing us to swim with sharks. The board voted to take out an IL EPA low interest loan of $400K
The Engineer and this other Engineer want to "assist" bc they will get paid out of the loan.
We submit by March 31st, get a number, wait in queue, and make decisions about what to actually fix.
Scary stuff!
I believe that God is supplying us with shark repellent.
Two of the newest Trustees, in their late 30's, are Afghanistan veterans. One was telling me how the Army taught him to attack problems. He has taken the lead on the 35 acres of farmland and we now have a new 5 yr contract with the farmer who has been working it.
On a lighter note, DD took me to get my (and hers) hair cut and dyed yesterday. We both ended up with retro haircuts. I had 1/2 of mine cut off. I told the hairdresser that my hair, when short, has a natural curl. You could See the short pieces cut off on the floor curl themselves. Pretty amazing.
It was definitely and Godly gift of a little time of luxury.
I Still have some business to take care of this morning before I can attack the weeds on the south bed of the house.
I will report back tomorrow what I get done. ;)

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a loan modification (very short) signing this morning. I Knew they would call me for this one, bc the town is waaayyy off the beaten track and I know where it is.
As I was leaving I had to take a picture of the homeowners established star magnolia, getting just past bloom.
It really doesn't look good, white flowers turning to fallen off leaf brown color. I had possibly considered a star magnolia, now, not so sure. MY magnolia hasn't really bloomed yet, and when it does, the new leaves cover up the spent blossoms, PLUS, it has two more partial blooms throughout the summer...dunno why. :hu
Star Magnolia looking sad, 03-23-24.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tried to keep my red mini rose and my purple (both from box stores,) calla lily alive in the basement window. The rose was failing, and probably the lily would have failed, too, but it wasn't there long enough.
Rose & Calla Lily office friends, 03-26-24.jpg
Can't put ANY PLANT on a window sill OR next to my upstairs "suicide windows," window frames start at the floor on the 3 dormers on the 2nd floor bc the cats will dig them out...just for fun.
I transplanted them both to hanging baskets. They are now happy in my south facing office window and hanging on the curtain rod.
I brought up a gallon of "plant water" to keep them hydrated until I transplant them in May.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely Easter, DD's hosted. I didn't make any new mint sauce until yesterday evening. I could not believe how my spearmint? bed recovered. The patch is as big as a round craft table now. I ended up with 2 pints worth and it was enjoyed with the dinner lamb. In case there is anybody that doesn't know, making vinegar based mint sauce is pretty straight forward. You pick the mint, pull the leaves off of the stems, rinse them, use kitchen scissors to cut them to release the smell. Then you measure the mint, measure the white vinegar, measure the sugar and measure the water, bring to a boil, then pour into jars. One large mixing bowl here gave me 2 pints.
I dump the stems into my burn barrel. They will dry out and burn very well, thank you. There was a mystery--1/2 a dozen leaves had insect bite damage. Seems too early for that. I tossed those leaves.

Attachments

• Mint Sauce, 03-30-24, #2.jpg
    Mint Sauce, 03-30-24, #2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Mint Sauce, 03-30-24, #1.jpg
    Mint Sauce, 03-30-24, #1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Mint 3, 03-30-24.jpg
    Mint 3, 03-30-24.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Mint 2, 03-30-24.jpg
    Mint 2, 03-30-24.jpg