Ducks 4 in '24

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks: for Bluebettys (what our son called them about 30 yrs ago), soak the roots in water for 24 hours. Then plant in some soil that has been acidified. A handful of peat moss, a couple T of used coffee grounds and potting soil, along with the native soil.

Then fertilize this fall and next spring with Berry Tone fertilizer, per label instructions. They like regular watering.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dunno. A bird must have planted it. The trunk sits just inside of my fenceline. I am at DH's office.
I think I have a photo of it on my laptop at home.
I harvested the seed pods and they are now dry as dust.
It Looks like this:
1710785254799.jpeg

It tops off right now at about 10 ft, lavendar flowers. I must have over 100 tiny redbud seeds.
NO GUARANTEE about germination, just that I harvested the pods last fall. I will probably ship the pods and let You pick out the seeds! :lol:
If you want some seeds PM me. I am sure that I have some of those tiny ziploc bags available. SeedsNow sends out ALL of their seeds like that now.

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed germination
How to start a redbud tree from seed

Redbud seed can be scarified by soaking seed in concentrated sulfuric acid for 30 minutes or by submerging seed in boiling water for one minute. Once scarified, the seed should be stratified at 35 to 41 F for 5 to 8 weeks. Seed should be planted promptly at a depth of 1/4 inch.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not much time THIS week for gardening, although I checked on the miserable germination of sugar snap peas, 3 to be exact. I should dig a small hole and throw the rest of the old seeds in it.
I DO have fresher sugar snap peas to plant!
So, Great Village Meeting last night, but 2 hrs long, lots of things to cover.
Engineer pulled 2 pieces of rebar from a sidewalk we intend to repair, and asked what to do with it.
Of COURSE, I TOOK IT!!
My 2 front sidewalk beds, have 2 steps down and the cement that keeps the dirt back, doesn't really do so.
I meant to Buy some rebar to fix it.
Now, I don't have to.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sit at my laptop, 2nd story office. My laptop has been travelling, now glad to make it back home to it's little (free) metal desk. I am listening to AccuRadioCeltic.
I look over at the window, where I transplanted a mini rose and a lavendar calla lily into hanging planters WHERE THE KITTENS CANNOT TOUCH THEM!
Off to cut off my waaaayyy too long hair!

Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not much time THIS week for gardening, although I checked on the miserable germination of sugar snap peas, 3 to be exact. I should dig a small hole and throw the rest of the old seeds in it.
I DO have fresher sugar snap peas to plant!
So, Great Village Meeting last night, but 2 hrs long, lots of things to cover.
Engineer pulled 2 pieces of rebar from a sidewalk we intend to repair, and asked what to do with it.
Of COURSE, I TOOK IT!!
My 2 front sidewalk beds, have 2 steps down and the cement that keeps the dirt back, doesn't really do so.
I meant to Buy some rebar to fix it.
Now, I don't have to.
@ducks4you - i’d be highly suspicious of an Engineer who didn’t know what to do with 2 pieces of re-bar!

p.s - My response to that question would be just like your’s.

Last edited:

Latest posts