DUCKS for THEE in 2023

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cherokee Purple is my very favorite. The vines get huge, they claimed over the top of a 6’ trellis, fell to the ground and started back up. The tomatoes have the best flavor and make great sauce. They go dormant in the ferocious Texas heat, but will start producing again in the fall, up to a hard frost in about November.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday ponies got to graze the north pasture. It is dissapointing that the grass is so short there.
When I am done here--I won my mayoral election, so I have been working on logging in to my alternate email that will only load from my lapotop, not from my phone.
UPDATE: Frontier INet has been down most of the day, and NOW I cannot load up my email at ALL on my laoptop, just on the phone.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took until this morning for a resolution. Now I am back online and my email also works.
Here is my Inner Sanctum mowing and tomatoes, as of yesterday. This morning there are more and they are all bigger.
I have 5 heat mats. The most recent ones are Ferry Morse and they are as hot as a heated blanket!
That means that every day I have to add water to the tomatoes and peppers so that they don't dry out.

Attachments

• April mowing, 04-12-23.jpg
    April mowing, 04-12-23.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Tomatoes on top of the fridge, 04-12-23.jpg
    Tomatoes on top of the fridge, 04-12-23.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 55

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't have all of the growing reports that @Phaedra , our resident "Energizer Bunny" does, but here is my tomato update as of this morning. See the difference between April 12th and April 15th.
Tomatoes on top of the fridge, 04-15-23.jpg
I am going to try to grow them like Craig LeHoullier does.
He Starts his seeds in 3inch containers, but I will salvage all that I can from the little cells in this 72 seed starter and transplant to 1/over 60 3 inch plastic pots I have collected over the last 2 decades, and find some other pots if I don't have enough.
Every day I have been checking the water. I lift up the cells which stick together, and pour water into to reach 1/2 an inch. Their heat mat REALLY dries things out. I also have been misting them with a sprayer bottle which is next to them on top of the fridge.
I plan to label them (best I can, but I saved the seed packages), move as many as possible to the 10 and 15 gallon fish tanks downstairs on two shelves on my plant starter shelving unit. Each has an older and not as hot heat mat underneath and a gro light above.
I figure it will be about 2 weeks before any get transplanted.
Craig lives 2 zones further south than me, so he has a longer growing season.
It is easier to deal with them on top of the fridge than downstairs.
So far, no peppers have sprouted, and they were planted 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• Tomatoes on top of the fridge, 04-12-23.jpg
    Tomatoes on top of the fridge, 04-12-23.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 53

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All horses are fed. Mare, who developed a slight limp and has been mostly in her stall for the last week, decided, when I let her graze in the inner sanctum, walked back into the barn COVERED with BURRS!!!
Yeah, I Know that I haven't cleaned up the ones between the old chicken run and the fence, but whatEVER possessed her to walk through that, even though there isn't any grass there now, blows my mind.
I spent 45 minutes deburring her and she looked like somebody who had boils from an allergic reaction.
She stood still during the whole process, which included ME chewing her out.
The wad of burrs would fill her water bucket.
Fortunately the next week's temperatres are mild enough for me to:
1) clean up those very burrs but pulling or digging/pulling, then piling to burn
2) putting 2 barricades to keep all of the horses out of that area until it is clean and then I rake up any loose burrs.
Before I clean stalls today I will be taking a shedding brush to my mare before I turn Her out with the two boys.
Wimpy must be Mare’s kindred spirit!

Attachments

• 2BF82EB8-1721-42CE-ADF0-55DE40B116B0.jpeg
    2BF82EB8-1721-42CE-ADF0-55DE40B116B0.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts