DUCKS for THEE in 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday GS came to visit to get late birthday presents, bday in March, he tuned 8yo.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD got her tomatoes home safe and sound and they are living with the basil and,,,something else. I told her to keep the tray below full so that they would be watered from the bottom. The clear plastic tray had chicken from the store. Trash to treasure. It is amazing how many of those 3 inch and 4 inch plastic pots accumulate over the years.
DDs 6 tomatoes now home, 04-23-23.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I swear MY baby tomatoes are growing before my eyes!
I will be transplanting to the downstairs fish tanks soon. Here they are, yesterday and this morning.
I guess that they are a little bit leggy, but NOTHING like what I used to grow in the basement and no stems or leaves are purple.
I believe that I should treat tomatoes, peppers, and sweet potatoes like tropical birds and not let them get cold.
I am planning on starting grape tomato seeds today and put them on top of the upside down chick warmer.
The transplanting wasn't hard using a long handled teaspoon, the type used to stir sugar in your tall glass of tea, NOT the small or measuring teaspoon, to get down and around the roots.
None of the 8 I transplanted last week suffered any shock.
My orders from DH and DD's are to FOCUS on:
tomatoes
sweet peppers
okra

Attachments

• Tomatoes, 04-23-23.jpg
    Tomatoes, 04-23-23.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Tomatoes, 04-24-23.jpg
    Tomatoes, 04-24-23.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
JUST when we thought about the early Spring, we had a freeze last night, 3AM-8AM.
I hauled out my Christmas lights (photo this PM, PROMISE!!!) and wrapped my low lying pear tree branches and the trunk and lower branches of my peach tree.
I wasn't worried about my cherry trees. There is ALWAYS too much to harvest, anyway and the big cherry tree is living next to the garden trees which afford some protection.
Apple trees haven't set flowers yet, so they're ok.
Here are a couple of shots of frost this morning. You can see a cold pony in the middle of 2nd shot if you look sharp.
Close to the house didn't get any freeze, it's still spring green.

Attachments

• Frost, 04-24-23.jpg
    Frost, 04-24-23.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 46
  • Frost, 04-24-23, #2.jpg
    Frost, 04-24-23, #2.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
JUST when we thought about the early Spring, we had a freeze last night, 3AM-8AM.
I hauled out my Christmas lights (photo this PM, PROMISE!!!) and wrapped my low lying pear tree branches and the trunk and lower branches of my peach tree.
I wasn't worried about my cherry trees. There is ALWAYS too much to harvest, anyway and the big cherry tree is living next to the garden trees which afford some protection.
Apple trees haven't set flowers yet, so they're ok.
Here are a couple of shots of frost this morning. You can see a cold pony in the middle of 2nd shot if you look sharp.
Close to the house didn't get any freeze, it's still spring green.
Car windshield frosted, hopefully everything survived the nip and frost. Most of the tomatoes are still in the house but have long outgrown their pots.

I could only hope the freeze killed off the pill bugs???

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I left the Christmas lights up for only one night, even though scattered frost was predicted for last night and tonight. I studied up and you only need to create heat in the first 4 foot of the tree to make a difference.
Smudgepots are nearly $400/each.
I picked up 6 packages of old time heat produced C-7 outdoor lights and stored them in my garden shed.
I made the mistake of plugging one strand in before I strung them, and I broke a bulb. They have to go on cold.
I had intended to cover the 4 outlet extension cord with the old and beat up dog igloo so that rain wouldn't short it out, but it's buried. Next year I need to get it out and staged. Dunno if I saved any pears, BUT, last time a surprise freeze came with an inch of snow and killed off blossoms. This year most of the blossoms have been pollinated. We will see...

Attachments

• Christmas lights for the freeze, 04-24-23, #7.jpg
    Christmas lights for the freeze, 04-24-23, #7.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 40
  • Christmas lights for the freeze, 04-24-23, #5.jpg
    Christmas lights for the freeze, 04-24-23, #5.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Christmas lights for the freeze, 04-24-23, #3.jpg
    Christmas lights for the freeze, 04-24-23, #3.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Christmas lights for the freeze, 04-24-23, #2.jpg
    Christmas lights for the freeze, 04-24-23, #2.jpg