DUCKS for THEE in 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Saturday I finally finished weeding my wildflower garden and distributed seeds. I started with a triangular stretch where I planted small garlic cloves and garlic seeds that I collected while harvesting.
Then I had this applesauce container full of old packets of flower and herb seeds that I distributed.
I am familiar with many flower seedlings and with ALL of my favorite weed seedlings, but I have had flowers here all summer and I found a few small patches that had tiny little seedlings that I didn't recognize. I am hoping that those are flower seedlings dropped and growing.
It is interesting...you should NOT mulch wildflower seeds. It will suffocate them. Better to leave them exposed on the surface of the soil, and you can "plant" them by spray watering.
I learned that in the 17th century flower gardens would fill in in the poorest soil, no mulch, no amendments.
Transcript only, I will look for the video link later:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sponsored by Victory Seed Company
Victory Seed Company
The Victory Seed Company is family owned and operated, working to help fellow gardeners succeed by selling popular vegetable, herb and flower seeds. Since the 1990s they have been heavily involved with the preservation of rare, open-pollinated, heirloom seeds. Visit them at www.VictorySeeds.com.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will add this to my list.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
just remember that wildflowers tend to do best in the poorest soils because if the soil is richer they are overtaken by other plants that can use those nutrients faster.

because it is often hard to get a wildflower garden established (due to competition from weeds) you can often start the seeds in pots for a few years and then transplant the larger perennials to give them a chance.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't think I would get ANY peppers, but, I harvested these for the Salsa Party chili Saturday.
peppers for Salsa party chili, 10-07-23.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting some cucumbers and beans out of this VERY LATE PLANTED Fall garden. Many cucumbers have sprawled on the ground.
We survived a frost by one degree fahrenheit. A few cucumber leaves were frost kissed, but the plants didn't feel a thing. No frost predicted for the next 2 weeks.
Fall garden, 10-11-23#1.jpg

Latest posts