DUCKS for THEE in 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You know, the lady I bought the lamb from does NOT have a picture perfect place. It's a little bit dirty, a little bit messy, old wood, and old buildings, etc. but I never see animal cruelty there.
She raises, chickens, ducks, geese, sheep, goats and pigs.
She also sends out an email periodically, when she has something to say, and includes pictures to illustrate her stories.
Her heritage pigs are kept in 10'x20' pens each with a shelter, sometimes the piglets escape!, they each have a puddle to wallow in, but LIGHT YEARS more kind than in the previous article.
She asks her neighbors to leave their pumpkins after Halloween and she feeds them to her livestock.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I posted this, BUT I had to spray a new colony of paper wasps that decided to build right next to my house's 2 south facing outlets. I was pulling weeds Saturday and got stung. Fortunately I am NOT allergic to the sting. I used an aloe based gel and the swelling/pain on the left forearm was relieved.
Still, I had to spray and kill them. Bad decision to be next to where I garden. They DID 1st strike, after all.
The spray suggested use on mud dauber wasps, but I never kill them. I wait until the winter to remove their dirt hives.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I posted this, BUT I had to spray a new colony of paper wasps that decided to build right next to my house's 2 south facing outlets. I was pulling weeds Saturday and got stung. Fortunately I am NOT allergic to the sting. I used an aloe based gel and the swelling/pain on the left forearm was relieved.
Still, I had to spray and kill them. Bad decision to be next to where I garden. They DID 1st strike, after all.
The spray suggested use on mud dauber wasps, but I never kill them. I wait until the winter to remove their dirt hives.
Thankfully you are not allergic to the sting! We also encounter similar problem recently, it seems some wasp took over a tunnel dug by the voles. We might have to call the licensed bee keepers in the surrounding to handle that.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I have hatred and terror, in equal measure, of wasps and hornets. (Bees I co-exist with, and have affection for them, given their beneficial role in nature.) Wasps and hornets are the one exception I've made over the years to my no pesticide rule, so I'm delighted to have found a new pest control company that uses only essential oils to kill and prevent wasps & hornets who choose to nest on or around my house. I'd never realized before that non-toxic oils are effective against these venomous insects, but apparently non-poisonous pest removal and prevention is a thing and is becoming more popular. I'm not allergic to stings, just terrified! If these critters did not operate in great numbers with a hive mind, or if they simply were not equipped with wings, my fear of them would be greatly reduced. It's a great relief to know that I will be wasp-free without harm to my dogs or any forms of wildlife from other beneficial insects on up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I have hatred and terror, in equal measure, of wasps and hornets. (Bees I co-exist with, and have affection for them, given their beneficial role in nature.) Wasps and hornets are the one exception I've made over the years to my no pesticide rule, so I'm delighted to have found a new pest control company that uses only essential oils to kill and prevent wasps & hornets who choose to nest on or around my house. I'd never realized before that non-toxic oils are effective against these venomous insects, but apparently non-poisonous pest removal and prevention is a thing and is becoming more popular. I'm not allergic to stings, just terrified! If these critters did not operate in great numbers with a hive mind, or if they simply were not equipped with wings, my fear of them would be greatly reduced. It's a great relief to know that I will be wasp-free without harm to my dogs or any forms of wildlife from other beneficial insects on up.

we have wasps and hornets of various kinds around but mainly i leave them alone other than making sure any nests are not allowed to start on the eaves of the house. i go around a few times and make sure to knock them down in the early morning when it is still cool out and that will usually keep them from being more persistent and getting a large nest. the only times i've needed the sprays is when they nested in the wall of the shed before i got it all sealed up (finally after many years). there's still a few gaps along the edge of the roof shingles and metal edge that i need to get sealed up but i didn't get to that this season like i'd planned.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i go around a few times and make sure to knock them down in the early morning when it is still cool out and that will usually keep them from being more persistent and getting a large nest.
Ah you subscribe to the "a long stick and run like hell" method! On some other forum a person recommended that, but I think this brave soul was referring to larger nests than what you're talking about. It made me laugh though.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah you subscribe to the "a long stick and run like hell" method! On some other forum a person recommended that, but I think this brave soul was referring to larger nests than what you're talking about. It made me laugh though.

well, it's not quite that as in the morning they're not moving much when it is cool enough. you can knock their nest down and step on it and any remaining insects. no running needed until it gets a lot warmer and by then i've deterred them most of the time so i don't usually have to do it again. very rare i have to knock a nest down later in the season.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting ready for my party on the 7th. Tuesday I cut down all saplings and large weeds growing around the SE corner of the house and the front. There was more than I thought and I also pulled some large weed grasses. It took 3 full tow wagonloads to remove it to the burn pile in front of the barn, but I got it done AND mowed before the rain.
My new barn light is plenty bright, but I needed my lights to finish mowing in the front.
Soon, I can show you how nice my flower garden is looking.
I had small pumpkin#2 rot on me. The other two, VERY large, are still looking great, so I can't figure out what happened.

Latest posts