Ducks Losses - Coyote

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know if you see it in the picture, but when she was young a turtle got her beak and she's missing a big chunk. She she's a survivor and fighter since she was young.

She's doing really well today. However, I took off the bandages on her neck and she stretched out a bit to enjoy the freedom and shook her head a bit. She tore something on the back of her neck and the bleeding there opened up and started up again. So I was really bummed for her. :( I wrapped her back up, but she's drinking completely on her own now. She won't eat without help, but she's still trying the hard pellets and not a fan of the fermented feed at all. So I have both out their for her. She still won't eat either unless I'm holding if to her beak though. Then its only 2-3 bites at best. Better then nothing at all!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
But fresh blood is still a good sign. Keep it moist, that will keep the scabbing down and tearing to a minimum.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Damn it! I went out to feed and check on her and found under feathers on her chest a pile of larva again! :sick

Apparently there was a small puncture wound on her chest I missed. It had clotted and I never saw any blood staining on the feathers to notice it. I cleaned her with warm water and dawn to remove as much of the larva as possible and slathered it with Swat and bandaged that one up as well. I'm glad I've had her on antibiotics so I hope I'm not too late. It was small, but now her chest is raw, and the feathers around it just started falling out while I was washing her. :he

Against the chose I want to make, I'm bring her in the house tonight to wash in the tub. Then I'm going to treat and bandage again. I'm going to keep her inside through next week, then if I notice good scabbing and signs of healing I'll bring her back out to the pen again.

This is literally wearing me out. I have NOT been able to sleep at night since this happened and I go to her side every couple of hours so I don't have much energy right now. I can't wait until hubby is home to help. I need a little break and I'm so frustrated with myself I need him to get me all energized about this again so I keep fighting.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, you need to take care of yourself so that you can take care of her. Try to get some sleep and rest. You're doing all you can during the day. Let her sleep and rest during the night. You getting up every 2 hrs. is not going to help her heal any faster. This advise is given in a very loving way. Please don't take it the wrong way.

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you Mary, I know she'll make it if she keeps fighting and resting. I just can't sleep because I keep imagining I hear the coyote in the yard again. It hasn't come back, but I keep calling animal control and when they finally call me back I miss the phone call by a second. I call right back and then back to the voicemail service leaving messages again for them to please call me!!!

I'm very irritated by how hard it is to talk to someone there. :(

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We've lost several cats to the growing number of coyotes around our town. Sooner or later, I think we're gonna get a posse out and lower their numbers. I don't know if it's possible, but you might be able to find some teenagers who would reduce your coyotes for some $. That's what happens here. Hope this helps. :D

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
here in NH it is always open coyote season. twice i've nearly hit one with my car but i've never seen one on the side of the road dead up here. they are quick! :/

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
me either I never see a dead coyote on side of roads, just rabbits, skunks , and snakes. they are smart coyotes. they really think hard !!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Coyotes are VERY intelligent. They are patient, deliberate, and not afraid to try new things. I've heard of reports of them puppy bowing to get a bigger dog to play (like a Lab or a German Shepherd) and then they lure it out to the rest of the pack where they decend on it. The suburbs are easy hunting grounds small animals like cats and smaller dogs are ripe for the picking.

I've hunted them and yes its possible to put a dent in their numbers. They are NOT easy to hunt. The hardest part is getting them in range to get a good shot at them. Most successful coyote hunters are out west where you can get a 300+ yard shot on them so the coyote is at a signficant disadvantage. East of the Mississippi though its tough to get those kinds of ranges in an area where the coyotes are. Just doesn't happen. And you can't take pot shots at them or miss, or not take down all the ones you call in because they'll be educated and that trick that got them close won't work again.

Vfem your not likely seeing the coyote again because you've removed the food source. You put ducks back on that pond and you'll see the coyote come back. They'll check the pond to see if anythings back on it but until then your not likely to see it. Your bait was good, but once it starts to spoil its going to be tough to get them in on that for 2 reasons. 1 its spring/summer. There are lots of easy prey items to find before they have to resort to eating spoiling meat. Lots of baby prey animals are all over, rabbits, squirrels, mice to name a few, plus you've got things like goslings, ducklings, poults, chicks both wild and domestic that are out there to go after. Best time to go after them is in the winter when the food is more scarce and they are more willing to take a chance on a meal.

I hope things work out for you keep us posted!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hubby grew up in an area where coyotes were a big problem. They would put bait (a rabbit or a chicken) staked out in the field in the evening. Then they would sit and wait with a flashlight with a red cover over it. Apparently the coyotes can't see the red light but the hunters could see the coyote. Once they come to get the bait you start shooting. After a couple of weeks of this there weren't anymore coyotes in the area. Now, this was a VERY rural area, so it wouldn't work for everyone. but it worked for them.

Latest posts