Ducks Losses - Coyote

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am just amazed and so impressed you were able to save that duck. I do NOT like coyotes, and I am glad I have my LGD's here or they would wipe out everything, from poultry to goats, sheep and calves. I've watched them surround a cow and lead her off while others snatch her calf. Hideous creatures! I am not a predator fan.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine hunts coyote all the time. He leaves out dear entrails and they come every time. They are very smart. Perhaps you can get some such lure from a butcher. Your duck looks great. I would never have given her a chance to recover from the wounds that you described. Bravo to you from your good healing skills.

AdamBorzy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lily looks really pretty healthy now.
Yes, dont get too comfortable; coyotes have tendencies to hunt again where they left off.
To hunt em down is a good idea.
Good luck to your husband for the hunting plans.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coyotes can be so sneaky. DH has tried to hunt them several times. Good Luck. LILY looks AMAZING. Good job nursing her back to health.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
A friend of mine hunts coyote all the time. He leaves out deer entrails and they come every time. They are very smart. Perhaps you can get some such lure from a butcher. Your duck looks great. I would never have given her a chance to recover from the wounds that you described. Bravo to you from your good healing skills.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I saw an ad for a strobe light to keep away coyotes, but the price was steep. The off and on lights are supposed to spook them.
I just did a search for something like it on Harbor Freight, and came up with this~
http://www.magnalight.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=851
It lasts up to 200 hours on batteries. You could put this close to the pens and see if it keeps them away. You might see if you have a car adapter to AC current to use bc there were cheaper models that use a car adapter, but THIS one can be used outside.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You'd have to hook it up to a motion sensor or they will realize the constant blinking is not a threat. I know of a few folks who hook up a radio on a timer with mixed results. I don't know though, I still think a .22 is the best solution. Usually if they are getting that close they are pretty desensitized to most human activities.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My company sells the solar night eyes that are supposed to look like the reflection of another predator in the area. I'm thinking of trying those?

Latest posts