Ducks Losses - Coyote

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well no news on the coyote yet... Haven't seen anymore duck losses around the area. The other ponds only have a couple left but haven't seen any missing since right after Lily was attacked.

I'm sure its a coyote since its been sited and my duck is about 20lb, and somehow got free. Whatever it was had to be big. Not to mention, my ducks free range on the pond and surrounding property, and whatever it was had to hunt them pretty good to make sure it could stock them and catch them not out in the pond. Only able to be lucky to get 1 at a time.

Anyways, back to the good stuff... recovery! We're doing WAY better then I thought we would at this point. I take off her dressings occasionally so she can stretch and move. I've noticed her neck was getting weak and she was having a hard time holding it up since all the bandages were doing the work for her. So now she gets some 'wrap free' time to stretch and move the muscles. We're also taking warm soapy baths to keep clean and give her the chance to be a duck. Otherwise she's stuck in the bathtub all day.

She's eating REALLY well and drinking regularly on her own. We're not quite at what she should be eating in a day, but she's finally resting a lot and isn't so nervous anymore. If you can believe it or not she's being 'playful' and enjoying the handling. She apparently loves having her cheeks rubbed, so if you go sit next to her, she'll come bump your hand with her head or beak until you start petting her and rubbing her cheeks.

When I say 'you' I actually mean me... my husband isn't one to handle her or feed her much, and when he tried to pet her last night she snapped her beak at his finger. So for right now she's probably just showing me she's grateful since I'm with her all day. In fact, its time to go feed her and mix her some fresh water with vitamins and antibiotics.

I'll take pictures soon, probably after I clean the poo-y tub tonight. It stinks! LOL

:lol:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear she's on the mend. I've been wondering how she was doing. She's lucky to have you Vfem. You're a great doc/vet! I don't think I would have done half as good as you.

Mary

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about your girl. I don't know if anyone has said this, but be careful giving antibiotics in water. You really don't know how much they are getting. Also, make sure it is something approved for avian because some antibiotics/pain killers aren't approved because they don't know how long they stay in the system. I don't know if you eat the duck eggs or not. We have had to medicate a few of our chickens for various reasons as a last resort. Most of our birds would unhappily tolerate a syringe. We do have one that we had to hide her meds in her "treats". Make sure you talk with a vet that is knowledgeable about avian. Again, if any of this has been said already I apologize.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So glad that she is recovering well! It sounds like she and you are really bonding. I bet you are going to have a friend for life in her. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lily is chugging along, VERY mad she's still in the tub. She's snapping at me and screaming constantly she wants out. She'll be in better spirits when I finally move her back out to the pen in the yard. Her neck is healing but she's still a week or more away from going back outside.

Hubby would LIKE me to move her out today if I could, but its just not happening yet. The road to recovery is long and winding I tell you!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lily is almost fully recovered and I wanted to share how amazing she looked. There is some scaring under the feathers and 1 spot the size of a quarter that is scabbed over still... but everything else has grow back in, no signs of infection and she's healthy as ever.

Unfortunately, since this all happened I have lost Charlotte (my muscovy) and my neighbor's ducks who moved into my yard became dinner for the beast as well. I've called for help getting this thing with no luck. My husband is planning on going out 'camping' in the yard one night and he's going spend the evening quieting hunting coyote since the wildlife people said that is our only option. We're not allowed to trap them, and they won't come trap either. You just have to shoot them. :he

Latest posts