Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Been taking pictures, some successes, some failures, but good GOLLY, it's almost APRIL and I haven't started my thread yet!! :th
I will start with scary pictures of DD and DH. Courts are closed until April 13th, maybe longer. DH has all cases continued. DD, who is an Assistant State's Attorney, is on full pay, but part time work, 1 day/week for the next several weeks, but expected to go in and work on files on another day. She and her sister did a massive Spring Cleaning, including putting together three 16" x 20" stainless steel open weave storage shelving, on wheels (2 lock.) Sunday they put together the 20" white cabinet --
Now, she can clean up the clothes on her floor--yes, I AM a snitch!! :gig
Actually, she is delighted bc she didn't haven't enough storage space.
She was home yesterday, DH didn't have any appointments, I am not doing any signings until the middle of April (social distancing, of course,) so we decided to go to the range that DH and I joined in February. They have 6 bays for pistol/rifle and one elevated bay, the length of the enclosed property, where you can shoot as far as 500 yards.
Here are pictures for your enjoyment!

Guns!, 03-30-2020, #3.jpg

DD and me with our head gear.
Guns!, 03-30-2020, #5.jpg

DD has owned her Henry rifle for several years and had never fired it! If you don't know already, Henry rifles are Top Notch!!
Guns!, 03-30-2020, #4.jpg

DD fires the AR-15. We, all 3, fired it. Amazing rifle!! The bullet is Very powerful, but you get No kick.
Guns!, 03-30-2020, #7.jpg

DH, firing his AR-15, in Coureur de Bois cap. It was a bit nippy.

DH and went through a 3 hour orientation at this gun club. They have video surveillence and EXPECT us to practice safety at all times, with earwear and eyewear. We also took a safety test, display weapon unloaded and open, demonstrate that we can load it safely, then hit the target at 10 yards, hit at least 5/10 times. There is a lock on the gate, which we are not to share. We open the lock, enter the range and lock it behind us. We are expected to NEVER give the combination to anybody who shows up and says that they have forgotten it. "Go home and get it, then!"
Our church Security Team expects us to practice at least 1/month, live ammo or laser, which we also have at home. Since we cannot meet in person, our Team is having a weekly bible study on Zoom, Monday nights. DH is really enjoying it. He is not much of a FB fan, and doesn't really belong to any forums, so it's nice to visit with other gun people.
Next post will be vegetation. PROMISE!!!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
FINALLY, some vegetation.
I had some older tomato seeds, maybe beefsteak, Maybe 2019 Mortgage Lifter, that I started in 2 take home containers. Didn't look like anything was happening, so I put them on top of the dishwasher. WRONG!
There were 6 that survived my abuse:
Found tomato seedlings, 03-31-2020, #1.jpg

God gave me two cups that didn't make it into the garbage, so I transplanted them and put them on top of the fridge, on a heat mat and under a gro light.
Found tomato seedlings transplanted, 03-31-2020, #1.jpg
Found tomato seedlings transplanted, 03-31-2020, #2.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided to reuse the two take home containers. I planted 24 Brandywine pink seeds and put them next to the seedlings.
Brandywine Pink seeds started today, 03-31-2020.jpg

This season I am planted anything and Everything, including some things that I forgot to label. THIS is an herb, just forgot which one. I am nursing it along, making sure that the few seedlings don't dry out. I want to fill my beds with vegetables AND herbs AND flowers to help combat weeds.
Mystery herbs, survived, 03-31-2020.jpg

I had to work HARD to keep these Opal Basil alive!! They think that my House is a refridgerator!!!!
Opal basil, 03-31-2020.jpg

I bought this "Grow Your Own Basil" on clearance last Fall. Out of 30 seeds, THIS is the only survivor. I am pretty sure that it is a Genovese.
Genovese basil, 03-31-2020.jpg