Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Looks like we are taking a step backwards, but it's all good. We will put on one more coat of KILZ before applying the new gallon of Duck "Sunshine and Happiness Yellow."
Gotta cover up the past to paint towards the future!

Attachments

• Office walls after KILZ, 05-09-2020.jpg
    Office walls after KILZ, 05-09-2020.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK...I am stuck between worlds, the one, from the 1970's/1980's, and the gamer world of my DD's. We were watching 3 hours of a review of the game"Little Miss Fortune" last December. CRAZY weird game, but we fell in love with the main character. She throws glitter and says, "Happiness to the bird!', "Happiness to the barn (on fire)!", and so on.
It is one strange game, but little Miss Fortune is so cute.
"I'm a little Lady, you know," and she sounds kinda Russian?
"I'm a little lady NINYA, you know!" Then she falls over.
There are nerds for everything, and we have all come out of the closet.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
WISH I had more photos of vegetables, But these are my volunteer columbine. Look sharp for photo#2, there is a big, fat bumblebee!

Attachments

• Columbine, front steps, 05-07-2020, #2.jpg
    Columbine, front steps, 05-07-2020, #2.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 202
  • Columbine, front steps, 05-07-2020, #1.jpg
    Columbine, front steps, 05-07-2020, #1.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 210

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look what I did Yesterday...I harvested bricks!
Harvesting bricks, 05-09-2020.jpg

I laid down cardboard, got DH and friend to move them from the property owner across the street. HE had taken down a chimney, piled them up and wanted them gone.
WHAT will DUCKS be Doing with ALL__OF__THOSE__BRICKS?!?!?
Fall Project--Cold Frame, here we come!!! :weee:weee:weee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I last posted I tilled the bed around the cistern, pounded in 7 metal fence posts, and started planting bought tomatoes. AAARRGGGHHHH!!! I have had such trouble with the 2yo kittens and a big learning curve. The tomatoes I have started from seed are too tiny. I bought 12 beefsteak, a few are heirloom, and those are planted. There is room for 9 more. I finally had some seedlings that took, and today I up potted them and put them in the fishtank on the porch, which faces south.

It's been near 90 for the last week, but now it's going down into the 70's. The fish tank should protect them until they get big enough to go out. All of my tomatoes are buried up to their necks and surrounded by compost. Easy Peasy to dig their holes and push soil and compost around them, and their labels. The wind won't faze them. They have a good chance to grow up nice and strong.
I also planted 5 San Marzino (recommended HERE, so I am hoping for good things!) They are on the west side of the garage and most of that bed is full sun in the afternoon.
I planted/caged 12 Sweet Banana Peppers in front (just to the south of) the potato bed. I need access to the potato bed for harvest and I plan to transplant Brussels Sprouts there after the potato harvest. Caged peppers won't be in the way.
I still have a jalepano to plant, but I am too tired to do anything else today. It can wait.
Pictures of my healthy potatoes, which are starting to flower in another post.

Attachments

• Tomato seedlings, 05-28-2020.pdf.jpg
    Tomato seedlings, 05-28-2020.pdf.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 222

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the office, as of today. Should coulda didn't use primer on old, 100yo plaster, so the old, greenish-grey paint was showing through.
Also, DD missed a few cracks, so she did that today. Yes, Virginia, my home office IS the color of orange juice...or sweet, little, baby ducks--take your pick.
View attachment 35476

i painted my entire bedroom a bright royal blue as a teenager when i finally got my own room. i found it very soothing but Mom thought i was a bit crazy. it was a big improvement over white (which was painted over the black that my sister put up)... she also managed to paint a fairly realistic tiger on the wall and then scared the crap out of herself waking up in the night and seeing that there, so that was painted over long before the white paint was applied. in years before we bought it there was a peach color under there. ew, just not my color at all... i like bright primary colors. to me the bright yellow/orange color is great! i'm not sure i'd want it in a room i spent a lot of time in, but i much prefer it over off-white/tan or other bland colors.

most of my rescue furniture is a bright primary color. :)

you won't hear us say anything bad about harvesting bricks or even parts of bricks, or even bricks which end up crumbling into dust...

Latest posts