Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sure was wishing for some rain from Christobel! :hit

me too @baymule ! we might get a sprinkling more in a bit, but nothing major has come of this. i did hear some drops last night but mostly it was the AC cycling on and off. the forecast says more chances this evening after 5pm. i think it might be pulling my leg again. i did get out and water a bit yesterday and last night since i knew that the forecast can often be wrong and i didn't want any sprouts to get too dried out. i'll check them all in a few hours if we don't catch any of these bits that might be coming by. we'll see...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FINALLY posted my salsa party 10: THE PROTEST
1591799647544.png

Details
Oct 17 at 12 PM – Oct 18 at 12 PM

Our sucky Governor won't let go of the virus. As of toDAY, you can't have a party of more than 12, BUT, you can peacefully protest with 100 others.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday I poisoned under the pine trees, the ones you see by the tents. Also weeded the east bed in front of the house and poisoned there, too, then into town.
Yesterday I bought 7 sweet red peppers, 2 jalepanos, one mini rose and a clearance foxglove for DD's yard, which I planted when I drove the truck to their house for dinner. DD's had cleared out the ~100yo 4 drawer wooden filing cabinet and had loaded it in the truck, along with a very old, wooden triangular corner unit, the one with a 2 drawer cabinet on the bottom, looks a lot like this one:
View attachment 35855
They loaded and they UNloaded, and I planted the foxglove.
I love old furniture. And I love this corner unit.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Theirs could use some work, but it looks a lot like it. I found it in one of the apartments that we rented 40 years ago. It ended up for 20 years in the "lodge", which was the 1 car garage, some 20 ft deep, the place where I now store my tractor. DD's have wanted to move it for awhile now. NOW it's at Their house. We will see how they clean it up.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not much done yesterday, moved mulch to my flower beds, dug up more curly dock, put on the tarp to dry out and burn, monitored the tents, which almost all went down numerous times bc of the 35mph+ winds for two days straight.
I saw a white "x" on this tree across the street from DD's house, thought I'd share before the town chops it down
Sidney Gnarly tree, June, 2020, #4.jpg

Attachments

• Sidney Gnarly tree, June, 2020, #1.jpg
    Sidney Gnarly tree, June, 2020, #1.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Sidney Gnarly tree, June, 2020, #2.jpg
    Sidney Gnarly tree, June, 2020, #2.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Sidney Gnarly tree, June, 2020, #3.jpg
    Sidney Gnarly tree, June, 2020, #3.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 230

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too bad about that tree. I like old gnarly trees. If you can, get the sections that have the burls on them. Take to a wood worker who can put them on a wood lathe and have them made into beautiful bowls. Burls like that were treasured by early settlers because they could be made into bowls that were strong because of the swirly grain. They were used for many things in the kitchen, mainly as mixing bowls.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
FINALLY posted my salsa party 10: THE PROTEST
View attachment 35864
Details
Oct 17 at 12 PM – Oct 18 at 12 PM

Our sucky Governor won't let go of the virus. As of toDAY, you can't have a party of more than 12, BUT, you can peacefully protest with 100 others.
You can't fix stupid. But you don't have to vote for it either. ;)

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The wind sure has been something else the last few days....I was hoping it would bring more rain with it! I have an old gnarly tree that needs to come down, but it is too far back from the road for the county to care, lol

If they leave enough of a stump, you can hollow it out and make yard art out of it...if that's the homeowner's thing, at least!

Latest posts