Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DH fixed my saw, but I had Trustee business, meeting tonight, fractious, so little time to work outside. I dug up mulch and put it around all of my peppers and laid more down in the flower/garlic beds, then watered all tomatoes, peppers and flowers.
Hot today, MISERABLE tomorrow Through Sunday, very hot, Very humid. AM loan signing, so AC.
Picked up an unexpected cash only POA this weekend. Got some gardening money to burn tomorrow.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bought a 2 pack of Hollyhocks on clearance. Gotta get them potted toDAY. Still might be a bust. Couldn't find any clearance tomato cages for my peppers. Not a real problem. I Can pull the cages for the peppers right next to the potato raised bed and use them for my Romas that are almost ready to transplant, which are on the west side of the garage.
Btw, that tomato I transplanted the other day IN 6 inch COMPOST and well watered is doing great!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cleaned up around my grape vines today. Sawed down about 8 burdock, mowed with the bag to dump to burn the various grasses and weeds. DH hit the pole and knocked down the ancient 8 ft high posts last month. Got those removed. I need to assess the damage and see if any are now dead, or how to fix them up.
Grape vines, 06-23-2020.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
you've caused me a problem, I just been outside and re-potted a rosemary plant and potted a nice fuchsia, it's getting to hot for me now but after seeing these plants you have nurtured I have to put these cuttings I've been growing, the roots are begging for soil. :hide oh these sun

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been cutting curly dock and burdock. DH and I used the tractor to drag out a limb from a tree that snapped in a recent storm, then 7 trips with the shovel (bucket) to my north pasture burn pile on Saturday. Sold my five 3 x 6 x 12 1/2"(high) stage pieces last week, guy picked them up today. Glad they're gone. Now, DD's can take the old truck to their garage.
We are playing musical beds. DH and I got a new King sized bed, the Queen in still in my LR, DD's moved the Full to youngest daughter's room and eldest daughter is taking the Queen AND the 9 sets of very nice cotton sheets I have accumulated. I also have about 6 sets of old but also cotton sheets sets for the full sized bed. It really makes a difference when you sleep on a newer bed. I am getting a better night's sleep AND I can sprawl out.
VERY humid today, but I managed to get some gardening in. I will take pictures tomorrow and report then.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
EDIT: 8 full sets of sheets. Fingers slipped. We had family over for the 4th and really cleaned up the kitchen, LR, DR, etc. Yesterday DD's, who DON'T have AC--their house needs about $15K of electrical work, so even window units are not an option--came over for lunch and sacked out on my new bed for 3 hrs. It was like a quiet and cool motel room. The queen bed is now in Their LR. Doesn't Everybody have this?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our home has AC, but it struggles to keep up when it is this warm. The AC does a great job of refrigerating the basement, though, the place I go to cool down between stints in the garden (and where I keep my computer). It's a large basement, I've thought about putting up a hammock down there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I starting digging up one of my huge patches of black iris. I think there were maybe 50 of them in a 2 x 2 ft space! I gave my DD (who lives 2 1/12 hrs away) 2 bunches, packaged in paper grocery sacks, along with some mint and a columbine that had grown in the wrong place. I moved the rest out and dropped them on the north, full shade of the house. I think I will transplant them there for now, so they don't dry out and die.
I found 2 clearance calla lillies, one has 3 seed pods, and DD's house gets one, I get the other. I had bought a yellow calla lily last week and it got planted this morning, where the iris had been.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night my new mattress gave me a good night's sleep, so outdoors today, in the 100+ heat indexes to garden. I cannot beLIEVE how many black iris were growing in my front bed. Here is where I moved them:

Attachments

• Iris temporarily transplanted #3, 07-08-2020.jpg
    Iris temporarily transplanted #3, 07-08-2020.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Iris temporarily transplanted #1, 07-08-2020.jpg
    Iris temporarily transplanted #1, 07-08-2020.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Iris temporarily transplanted #2, 07-08-2020.jpg
    Iris temporarily transplanted #2, 07-08-2020.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 309

Latest posts