Ducks Ragtag 2019 gardening

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I let them out to graze the inner sanctum yesterday to be sure that they were all ok, which they were. HOW nobody impaled themselves on THIS, I just don't know!! 'O'
Temporary fence repair, 07-06-19, #7.jpg

I took apart Buster Brown's stall, since I am SURE he was the one who tried to fit 2 horses in the space for one and broke the fencepost, and put the 2 12' round pen pieces that make up 1/2 of his stall and secured them together, then pounded 2 pieces of rebar into a cinder block on the one side where they could slam into it. I love horses, BUT if you afraid of their power, look at this broken fencepost, which IS now 5 ft, but left 3 ft in the ground.
07-06-19, fence damage, #2.jpg

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I was beat and DD's came over for lunch and to play "TROGDOR!!! The Board Game"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1999933720/trogdor-the-board-game
DD also played "Final Fantasy: Enterprise", which is a refigured "Final Fantasy IV,' which randomizes the game, eliminates the story line and enables the player of a 40 hour video game to play it in an evening. The game keeps track of how long it takes you. She finished in 2 hrs, 9 minutes.
https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-iv-randomizer-mod-turns-the-game-into-an-1826370595
I DID manage to clean up some in my main bed. I dug up about a dozen 1st year burdock, and got most up by the roots. I have a spray bottle repurposed to spray small things, should these burdock reappear.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
BIG surprise on July 5th, and it was a good one.
Here is my barn on July 4th:
Barn without light, July 4th.jpg

Here is the same barn on July 5th (and this photo from July 7th:)
Barn light, July 7th.jpg

About 6 1/2 years ago we had a power surge. STUPID Ameren (power company) and their LACK of good service and decent rural electrical lines. I lost about $3K, including a 3 yo upright freezer that turned into toast and couldn't be repaired. Lost THIS photoelectric LIGHT, too. I kept hearing it Try to turn on every night, but I figured that the lamp was burned out. Bought a new one last year, asked my friend (who is working on the house across the street to flip it AND had a long extension ladder) to take out the burned lamp and put in the new one. The result? Nuthin...
July 5th, we have a thunderstorm that rolls through. I go out in the evening to grain the horses, hear the familiar buzzing, look up and :ep:ep:epthe light is on!!! :th:th:th
HAPPY SURPRISE, but I haven't got a CLUE as to why. NOW, I feel stupid for not buying the LED lamp!! :rant

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should ADD that I hired an electrician 3 years ago to pull the fuse box in the barn and replace it with circuit breakers. He also checked the old wiring, so I am not too wired about an electrical fire. Any thoughts as to why this happened?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a clue. Was anything else on the same circuit that light is on? Were there any problems anywhere else on that circuit? Was it a circuit problem or a fixture problem :hu

I like the idea of replacing the fuse box with a breaker box and getting the wiring checked. I think that was a good move.

@majorcatfish this might be up your alley?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a clue. Was anything else on the same circuit that light is on?
:gigI, also, was thinking about "Christmas Vacation." Nope, nothing turned on NOW that had a circuit off before. The electrician also put in two new outlets in my tack room and grain room. I put in 2 hanging LED shop lights, each has a string pull, and the switch is right inside of the front door to the barn. I also have an old boombox in the grain room, where I can easily change stations. I am ALWAYS flipping that switch for the radio, pretty much every day.
I am thinking that this all has to do with where the lamp connects to the socket. Any other thoughts?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are your switches and plug covers , etc. rated for outdoor use and waterproof as well have you installed a GFI ? If not, earwigs, other small bugs can get in and cause a short circuit. Also , any grain dust or plain dust can migrate into the fixture / switch / plug over time and cause a short and or trip the breaker / fry the black and /or the white insulation over the wires near the switch or plug.

Latest posts