Ducks Ragtag 2019 gardening

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunflowers, flowering in my potato bed. AGAIN, if anybody has harvested the seeds, Please let me know how to do it!! :hugs$2/package/15 seeds is way too expensive!

Goldfinches typically got mine when I grew them. After the flowers dry up the seeds will fill and dry. So watch them. If the birds start eating them put some netting around them. You do not want them to stay wet enough to mold. Eventually they will dry out and are pretty easy to "shell".

Or, once the seeds look full, cut the head off and hang it in a shed with good ventilation. Everything (birds, mice) love them so pay attention. Once they are dry enough to not mold you can store them in a glass jar with lid or freeze them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We enjoyed the 4th. A little bit of mowing, some SERIOUS pie making~
Flag Cherry Pie, July 4th, 19.jpg

dog loving...
Tori & Eva, July 4th, 19.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
We feed birds in the winter. I end up killing thousands of volunteers. To save seed, once they are close to ripe, take a head inside before the birds totally annihilate the whole head.

How thick do you plant your sweet corn? 8” apart in 20-30” rows is thick enough. The thicker you plant it, the smaller the ears.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks!!!
Cherry pie, from 2018 harvest. (This year's harvest was down and DH's CO vacation, weather and work interfered with the harvest. I still have about 1 dozen quarts left from several years ago.)
NEXT question--how did I decorate the flag? I slightly diluted blue and red food coloring and used 2 toothpicks to color the flag that I sliced out of extra pie dough. Gonna do it again, SOOOOO easy, and MY idea.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been checking my cucumbers to make sure that they are climbing and not sprawling. I have taken several tendrils and tied them to my fencing on a few. They are growing next to my tomatoes and I am about read to tie THEM up to the fencing, too. Tired of fruit on the ground!!! :rant

Latest posts