Ducks Ragtag 2019 gardening

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i really would not like unexplained things happening like that... :( we have wires in this place that stopped working and i really hated that too. one time i had an electrician come and try to find what was going on but we didn't have enough luck since he could not see inside the walls without starting to remove plaster. he did resolve a few things though so that was good. everything except the most annoying one. lol

good luck ducks! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks! I have an old home with plaster walls. LET THEM BREAK THROUGH the walls, if you have really old wiring. DD's house has oRIGINAL 1920's wiring and their electrician is starting the fixes and KNOWS that it's ok with them to break through the walls to replace it.
My Vet thinks that the bulb wasn't screwed in correctly. The unit IS old and that could happen.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is newer construction, i suspect mouse chewing, but that was way back when the place was first built that the trouble happened and it hasn't burnt down by now. i doubt i will do anything about it now but perhaps if i buy the place eventually i will or it will get done as part of fixing to sell. we'll see. :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
if asking about the street light you have on the barn? looks like a 400w hm light which consists of 4 major components
photo eye
transformer
starter
bulb
from what you have stated with it trying to come on my best guess is the starter has gone out and for course over the years the transformer has seen a lot of power surges... heres my recommendations
1.buy a universal rebuild kit around 140.00 not including the photo eye
2.replace it with a new led light fixture with an equal wattage output
3. purchase a new photo eye plus purchase a 400 watt corncob led bulb w/driver and gut the rest... if you are interested in going this direction can send you how to wire it up...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dug like a gopher and scrubbed like a washerwoman on Friday and Saturday. I decided to work on a feel good project, the 2 beds to the north of the garage. I discovered some burdock growing there, there were still strawberry plants and runners, and PLENTY of weeds. My big Rose of Sharon died there last winter, and I dug and sawed out the stump. I discovered 2 baby Rose of Sharon, one I removed and the other I will take out this Fall where I divide the lemon lily and hosta sitting in front of it.

I took a look at the siding and thought that my "after picture" didn't deserve to look greenish.
Don't know about you, but I will buy stuff and not use it...for years. Hauled out the mold wash thingie, but mine is 5 years old and looks a little bit different.
https://www.amazon.com/Mold-Armor-F...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C3Y7XCVQ83CDA82DRNDM
I also had years of mold on the north side of the garage. I knew that once I planted the clearance annuals I couldn't put my regular ladder up to hand scrub with this~
carlisle-scrub-brushes-3628900-64_1000.jpg

Took a bucket and put in car wash soap and took to the east 1/2 of the wall. GOOD job to do on a very hot day. It really does scrub off mold, but I wanted it white so I had to do the hard work.
I HAD planned to plant this bed on Sunday and move on the bed on the west side of the walkway to the garage, but the weather decided that we needed a downpour. ALL outside buckets had over 3 inches of rain in them and I totally disagree that we only got .74 inches of rain yesterday. Threw my planting plans out the window, but it Did water the plants waiting to go in. Had to go in the office today bc our car is getting new brakepads. I might be able to get some of the annuals in today. I had already tilled up the chicken run 2x so I could use some in these beds.
I had wanted to dig up the brick border, but decided to use my spade along the borders of the bed and then seriously till it. I tilled from 7:45PM until there wasn't much light at 9PM. Eva either laid down and guarded with Pyg, or came running around the corner every time I called for her, so she is learning to "Guard the Duck at dusk/dark" game, and that is a plus.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to make monies yesterday for many reasons, dependant upon WHO I was talking to. Working to:
1) Buy more dog food;
2) Buy more cat food;
3) Buy more horse food;
4) Buy more chicken food---WAIT!!! Chickens can't grasp this, so why bother?!?!?\
I did plant more Brussels Sprouts seeds, this time in the "Tank of Holding" in the front yard.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in the future to save you a bunch of work scrubbing, a bleach solution (usually one part bleach to 10 parts water is plenty) will remove mildew from siding without any scrubbing. just spray it on and wait about 10-15 minutes and hose it off again. anything you miss can be gotten on a 2nd round if needed. if you don't have a way to spray it on you can use a paint roller with a thick nap to roll it on or even a rag but that's much slower...

Latest posts