Ducks Ragtag 2019 gardening

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Home and out with my camera...again. Enjoy, OR go to somebody else's post now.
Eating sweet corn THIS WEEK! I didn't stagger my planting. I TRIED growing sweet corn in the past and this experiment involved red coated 2018 seed. I had amended the soil around my cistern, so I thought it was rich enough, and I planted some 220 seeds. I think that they ALL germinated.
We should enjoy how our gardens look, too. I see this everytime I come home and walk to the door.
Sweet corn, 08-17-19, #1.jpg
Corn, around cistern, 08-17-19.jpg
THIS is what I see from my upstairs office.
Corn, around cistern, home office view, 08-17-19.jpg

Oh, YEAH...the chair...in the yard...we can burn, but I have to remove all synthetics before I burn the wood and harvest the metal for recycling.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Next to the building, there are MORE tomatoes reaching up to compete with the sunflowers, okra, cosmos and multicolored Indian Corn. Down at the bottom in the shade are beans which Are producing, even in the lower light. I stood between the fencing and took this.
SSgarage, looking UP, 08-17-19.jpg
I grew yellow sunflowers in a different bed, Here I grew "Mexican Sunflowers", or, at least that is what the package said. I have been saving sunflower seeds from the yellow ones. I had to REPLANT these orange and multicolored sunflowers, so I will be saving seed from THEM, too.
Mexican sunflower, S S garage, 08-17-19, #2.jpg
What is nice about "Indian Corn" is that you can leave it on the stalk to dry out. I have to get all of my sweet corn harvest in the next few days to eat or to freeze.
Multicolor Indian corn, SSgarage, 08-17-19.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took a fuzzy picture of my extra tomato bed. Against the garage are ALL tomatoes that I started from seed. These tomatoes I bought, at 75 cents/6 pack. Couldn't see them die, so I put them here, next to the plastic I am using to solarize for my Brussels Sprouts, which are growing on top of the fridge and on the porch, in two 36 cell starter gardens. Today, I plan to transplant them to bigger cells. I want them big and Hardy before I put them out.
Brussels Sprouts bed, solarizing, 08-17-19.jpg
DD's never did clean up their back yard mess, so I took home the 5 sweet peppers that were in a large planter. So NOW, I am growing 22 sweet peppers and 4 jalepano's. You all know that if you water and DON'T water the dirt around your plants, the dirt will suck up the water like a sponge and steal it from your plants. So NO, I wasn't being sloppy in my watering.
Sweet & Jalepano pepper bed, 08-17-19.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always soak the gardens down pretty well if i'm watering. i want it to get down deep enough and it has to last for a few days at a time, plus with them being mostly clay i have to water them just a little but like six times to give it some time to soak in before hitting them again.

a long gentle rain is the best watering ever. :)

love the look of that corn. :)

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ouuuuuuu...whatcha planning @Prairie Rose?

I want to either plant it thick like you did to make a living, edible fence around the side yards that are most exposed to traffic (possibly with scarlet runners growing up it for pretty flowers), or planting it all the way around one of my raised beds to create shade and a wind break and give me a longer season for lettuces and spinach than I get right now. I have never seen corn planted any way besides in single rows before....I love it!