Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
A nearby neighbor decided that he would do this last year.

It looks very much like he sprayed the lawn with herbicide - 2 large trees began to die! I'd be very surprised if either of them make it back this year.

One half of the front yard was not watered and, I believe, has nothing but dead grass on it. The other half, he planted (and @seedcorn will be interested to know) only to kale. I've seen him out several times this winter harvesting leaves. I don't know what he has done in his backyard. His next door neighbor had a solid board fence set up last year, making it difficult for passersby to snoop ;).

Steve
To each his own but I could think of many plants to use over kale. IF the trees died due to herbicides, I have NO idea what or the rate he would have had to use. Unless he spiked the trees

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is anybody here planning on growing vegetables in their front yard?
My front sidewalk is lined with large pots, with a permanent trellis beside 4 of them. Those pots get extra TLC, so if I have an irreplaceably rare bean, or only a few seeds to start with, it gets grown there. Runner beans, wax beans, purple-podded beans, and yardlong beans are attractive enough not to be an eyesore. The untrellised pots are where I grow pepper trials, or soybeans (caged) which are borderline for my climate zone.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is anybody here planning on growing vegetables in their front yard?

our front yard is almost entirely gardens, and a few of them have been used to grow squash. since there is no enclosure fence around these gardens the deer, bunnies and other critters have free access. (we do have some fence up but it doesn't go all the way around)...

i'm not sure what we'll be growing in those gardens this season. likely squash again.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday I realized that I didn't have the beds prepared for both the asparagus And the new grapes And the cheapy blueberries.
I temporarily potted them all.
I put the 18 asparagus in a 3 ft long windowsill pot (6 inches deep) and planted the two blueberries and the two grapes in my large, plastic tree pot.
As predicted, the deluge of rain came in yesterday evening, all 2 inches of it, so all were well watered.
Both pots have good drainage, and I planted them in soil/compost from last year's tomato bed.
They are all good for at least a few weeks.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tired, BUT I planted all of the garlic. The old, grocery store garlic, about 1 lb, went in amongst the tulips in the north side of the front walk, all of the 1lb 1/2 of Italian garlic that I had bought from, forgot which seed company, went amongst the perennial flowers on the south side of the front walk.
Poured buckets last night, so well watered.
It should be a contest as to which ones do better. :cool:
I had a slightly cracked medium clay pot with nice dirt next to the steps. I threw in old seeds, old nasturitiums and opal basil, and put it back by the north edge of the bottom step. Guess we'll see if they grow.
I started on my "weed cover crop" where I had grown beets last fall. The 4 tined garden fork did I nice job lifting the curly dock, chickweed and henbit, I brushed off the tilled up good dirt, and threw them in my tow wagon to be dried up and burned in the firepit soon.
When I am done---probably tomorrow--I will plant beets. I'll let you know what gets interspersed.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I discovered THIS, a 4 1/2 inch turnip, from the bed I planted as a cover crop last Fall! About to munch it down this morning, and it wasn't woody.

Attachments

• Surprise turnip, planted in 2020, 03-29-21.jpg
    Surprise turnip, planted in 2020, 03-29-21.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 123

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting ready for the garden And for Easter company this weekend.
I have been mowing...
and cleaning (self cleaning ovens leave ash (eeeuuuuwwww!!)...
and wearing out Pyg and Eva.

Attachments

• 1st mow of the season, March, 20201.jpg
    1st mow of the season, March, 20201.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Oven after cleaning, 03-26-1`.jpg
    Oven after cleaning, 03-26-1`.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Wiped out doggies, 03-28-21.jpg
    Wiped out doggies, 03-28-21.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 133

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good news! The place where I bought my tractor found a Kubota riding mower at another of their stores. Looks a lot like this one. I am buying the rock bottom model, BUT it is new, it will come with a 4 year warranty, and I expect to get some $ off of the list price, according to their manager. The salesman, who has done NOTHING to make this sale, said it should be here within a week, so I can start attacking the grass!!
1617117589262.png

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting, they said there isn't much of a market for these, and usually people are buying zero turn riding mowers, but I wanted a machine to tow and a steering column to lean on. This model comes in both gasoline and diesel. Diesel are priced 2x the gasoline models, BUT I want to use it to pull my tow wagon in the winter when I clean stalls, and diesel engines have to been warmed up when it's cold.
My mechanic friend wants the used John Deere, so I don't have to dispose of it/store it. HE will probably clean up the engine, replace the used parts and have a dandy machine. The guy that I used to have repair my mowers retired. He sold me the used John Deere, was old and overweight, and I don't think he wanted to repair it more than necessary.
Don't plan on buying it, BUT there is a snowblower attachment to this mower, too.
Oh yeah, list price is $3,600.00
I don't expect to have to buy another one.
Everybody at this farm implement store has told me to use theirs, or brand name oil.

Latest posts