Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The top stems had rotted away from the roots, being inside and wet too long.
You see, I missed my November window to plant garlic, and I have started store garlic. The rest will be planted outside this weekend.
I have paid for 1 1/2 pounds of garlic from one of the seed companies I purchased stock from this Spring.
It hasn't arrived yet, but it's going into the ground asap after arrival.
I will have to play catch up, and get on the regular planting schedule in 2022, planted HERE in November.
I first saw garlic planted in a big field on a great PBS program that only had 1 season, 2019, called "Around the Farm Table."
The host was also a dairy farmer. She planted her field, in Wisconsin, in October.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The top stems had rotted away from the roots, being inside and wet too long.
You see, I missed my November window to plant garlic, and I have started store garlic. The rest will be planted outside this weekend.
I have paid for 1 1/2 pounds of garlic from one of the seed companies I purchased stock from this Spring.
It hasn't arrived yet, but it's going into the ground asap after arrival.
I will have to play catch up, and get on the regular planting schedule in 2022, planted HERE in November.
I first saw garlic planted in a big field on a great PBS program that only had 1 season, 2019, called "Around the Farm Table."
The host was also a dairy farmer. She planted her field, in Wisconsin, in October.

having some garlic here in the ground that i never lift and divide it just grows like any other bulb plant here. it won't be big bulbs because it is so self crowded but it does survive.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I have heard, Thx.
I imagine that I will have something of a harvest. It's worth growing for 2 reasons:
1) repels bugs, 2, 4 and multi legged pests
2) 90 % of US purchased garlic NOW comes from China
That's not right.

we buy garlic salt once every few years and in a few cases we have run out of fresh garlic but that isn't very common.

i have plenty planted if you need more later this summer for next fall planting PM me in the middle of summer. it's very hardy hardneck type. it hasn't let me down yet. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Check THIS out, written in "legalease" to confuse.
"Synopsis As Introduced:
Creates the Vegetable Garden Protection Act. Provides for the right to cultivate a vegetable garden and permits state and local regulation. Defines "vegetable garden". Limits home rule powers."
NEVER is there freedom when ANY governing body has legal standing to use state and local regulation!!! :somad

Purpose of Home Rule - Illinois Municipal League​

www.iml.org › homerule

Purpose of Home Rule. The purpose of home rule is to allow for local solutions to local issues and problems. A municipality with home rule status can exercise any power and perform any function unless it is specifically prohibited from doing so by state law.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... it seems well intended. To judge by the language ("Notwithstanding any other law, any person may cultivate vegetable gardens...") it allows limited local regulation of gardens, but prevents local ordinances from banning them outright on private property. Sounds like it is meant to protect those who wish to grow their own food from overbearing local ordinances & nuisance fines. Not sure how that would affect restrictive covenants though, since those are contractual.

Last edited:

Latest posts